Yeti GOBOX Collection

Idaho Archery Antelope

archerynut21

Well they say they went through with the proposal in my home state of Idaho on archery antelope. That is making the unlimited archery hunts 1st choice only and also dividing up hunt area 21a-1 (the tag I’ve gotten for 4 years now) into 10 different areas. I think with 2 or maybe a few more units a piece. The areas I hunt got divided up. Two units in one group and two in another if they went exactly along with the proposals. Anybody have thoughts on this? I think it’s a good thing, hopefully will decrease pressure.

I'm happy to see the pressure go down. The two units I hunt were not grouped together, so now I will have to choose which one to hunt. A mild annoyance, but I'll survive. In the past I have camped on the unit boundary.

Good idea to make archery a first choice. I always put in for sheep or mt goat so can't put in for a rifle tag. Will increase drawing odds for rifle hunts. Splitting the units up was not necessary.

I’m still deciding what to apply for this year. I don’t think I’ll be able to put in for moose so I might put in for the early 68 archery.

I haven't hunted archery antelope in Idaho for a while, but this is a good thing. It makes people choose what they want. The opportunity is still there, but can't try for a rifle tag too. Seems reasonable.

I drew pronghorn archery tags as my 2nd choice for a few years. In 2018 I started seeing more signs of hunting pressure, and in 2019 it was even more obvious. The animals weren't in the places I had consistently seen them, and I saw far more hunters. Last year I decided to not even to try that hunt.

It seems this is a reasonable change to make, and see if the situation improves.

If I apply for something else in a draw, can I apply for archery antelope in an unlimited area?

If I apply for something else in a draw, can I apply for archery antelope in an unlimited area?
You can only draw an unlimited antelope as a first choice not a second choice. That was a recent change.

You can apply for an unlimited antelope if you apply deer and/or elk but you cannot apply for antelope if you applied for moose, goat or sheep.

You can only draw an unlimited antelope as a first choice not a second choice. That was a recent change.

You can apply for an unlimited antelope if you apply deer and/or elk but you cannot apply for antelope if you applied for moose, goat or sheep.
Actually if you put in for a trophy species you can still put in for unlimited hunts for deer, elk, and antelope along with extra elk, extra deer, fall Turkey, and fall bear.

When I first started hunting the archery hunt there was little pressure, maybe 3 or 4 other groups in the area we hunted, and lots of goats. Then last year we saw over 50 rigs and I think 15 antelope on opener. I went into 5 units and ended up hunting a unit I have a lot of experience in where I saw the most antelope. Pressure was fairly light. A few hundred goats around. But I didn’t give it much time because I archery hunted elk last year. I hunted 4 or 5 days I think. This year I put in for any weapon because the unlimited hunt has turned into a complete shitshow.

Actually if you put in for a trophy species you can still put in for unlimited hunts for deer, elk, and antelope along with extra elk, extra deer, fall Turkey, and fall bear.

When I first started hunting the archery hunt there was little pressure, maybe 3 or 4 other groups in the area we hunted, and lots of goats. Then last year we saw over 50 rigs and I think 15 antelope on opener. I went into 5 units and ended up hunting a unit I have a lot of experience in where I saw the most antelope. Pressure was fairly light. A few hundred goats around. But I didn’t give it much time because I archery hunted elk last year. I hunted 4 or 5 days I think. This year I put in for any weapon because the unlimited hunt has turned into a complete shitshow.
Oh yeah, that's right. Thanks for the reminder, I forgot you could still put in for unlimited deer, elk and antelope if you put in for MSG.

Back