ID Unit 27

Pinecricker

I am thinking of doing a cast and blast (deer) MFS float trip next fall, looking at some dates now.

I see there is a controlled deer hunt in November, but that also means lower water levels, and colder temps. There is also a point restriction on the controlled hunt.

Any one gone after deer down there? Is the quality of the deer hunting any good, and is it worth waiting till November to hunt during the rut? The regular season runs till the end of October. I'd prefer to go earlier, just because of better weather, but am willing to wait for a better quality hunt. I would assume most of the recreational folks are gone later too, which is a huge plus.

Any feedback is appreciated. Willing to provide info on any Panhandle area hunts. We may also have an extra spot for an experienced boater. I have a complete 14' rig set up.

I floated the MFS in November helping a buddy with a sheep tag. Great trip in some amazing country. IIRC the river permits were pretty short on days, so you may want to check on that first. Though we were looking for sheep, I do not recall seeing all that many deer. Not saying they aren't there as much of that looks like pretty good deer country. Be interested to hear about the trip if you decide to give it a try.

When i floated it in October for sheep we hardly saw any deer at all. I have hunted the November hunt as well. We didnt float it in November, we flew in and everyone killed deer. Not giant bucks but 4 points.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back