Yeti GOBOX Collection

ID Unit 23 (McCall) Advice

Nick711

Happy hunting season all,

This will be my second year elk hunting and first time in Idaho. Like many on here my scouting is limited to google earth and onxmaps. I'll be hunting elk and deer in unit 23 with two other first timers during the general rifle season (10/13 - 10/21).

I'd like to get confirmation if the east side of 95 is preferred for hunting. A few others have indicated that there is a fair amount of cattle grazing on the west side and a larger game presence on the east side.

As for locations, I won't dare ask for your honey holes, but would appreciate input -- if you're willing to provide -- on the following:
1) Patrick Creek
2) Hell Creek
3) Lake Creek

Unknowns:
1) Quality of the north eastern side of the unit (areas above)
2) Weather and accessibility concerns
3) To access this area requires coming in from the north off of National Forest Developed Road 1614 Rd, crossing over the Salmon River and driving up Patridge Creek West or East road.
- The road traverses through Carlson Company Inc land - will this be gated shut?
- Will this road be accessible during mid October with a truck?

Thank you ahead of time for any input that you're willing to provide.

Best of luck on your season!

Nick

Lots of peoplenever hunted in that country. I know it’s steep! I’ve hunted around New Meadows, lots of people, Rapid River drainage gets a lot of horse guys in it. About all I know.
Matt

Happy hunting season all,

This will be my second year elk hunting and first time in Idaho. Like many on here my scouting is limited to google earth and onxmaps. I'll be hunting elk and deer in unit 23 with two other first timers during the general rifle season (10/13 - 10/21).

I'd like to get confirmation if the east side of 95 is preferred for hunting. A few others have indicated that there is a fair amount of cattle grazing on the west side and a larger game presence on the east side.

As for locations, I won't dare ask for your honey holes, but would appreciate input -- if you're willing to provide -- on the following:
1) Patrick Creek
2) Hell Creek
3) Lake Creek

Unknowns:
1) Quality of the north eastern side of the unit (areas above)
2) Weather and accessibility concerns
3) To access this area requires coming in from the north off of National Forest Developed Road 1614 Rd, crossing over the Salmon River and driving up Patridge Creek West or East road.
- The road traverses through Carlson Company Inc land - will this be gated shut?
- Will this road be accessible during mid October with a truck?

Thank you ahead of time for any input that you're willing to provide.

Best of luck on your season!

Nick
How’d you’re hunt go? I’m headed out there this fall but will be sticking mostly to 19A and 25.
Wondering if there is any basic information you learned while being out in that area.

How’d you’re hunt go? I’m headed out there this fall but will be sticking mostly to 19A and 25.
Wondering if there is any basic information you learned while being out in that area.
I archery hunted unit 23 in 2017 and heard bulls bugle every day. Got into them just about every day. Heard several wolves howl too. Saw very few deer (1 for doe and 1 fork)... I would say hunt away from people because I only saw a few people unit I went to leave... Then I sure saw quite a few people!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jahmes143
Back