Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

ID 67 elk near Mike Harris Campground Sep Archery?

Brad NSW

I'm an in shape, retired, SEAL with a disabled archery deer/elk tag, planning a solo hunt in early Sep. Plan is to hike in up the Mike Harris drainage and set up base camp. I'd be perfectly happy with a cow or just seeing elk. It's my 1st bow elk hunt. I'm patient, 5 for 5 on deer in San Diego which has a 9% success rate, so I'm willing to work. Couple of questions:

1. Do I need to set up base camp deep, like Rainey Creek/4th of July Peak, or is a few miles up the Mike Harris drainage enough to have a decent chance of being in elk and avoid the crowds?

2. Does anyone know a pack service in Victor or Driggs who would respond to an elk down call, for pack out?

3. Are Mike Harris and Rainey creek flowing in early Sep or will I have to pack/stage water?

4. Finally I've got a deer tag too. Any thoughts on it being a decent deer area?

Any advice appreciated. I managed a quick scouting trip this May. Saw lots of elk sign down low. Figure they will be up high in Sep. Lots of doe deer up high but no bucks spotted. Seemed like the area had potential.

Take bear spray, its good grizzly country. Anyone that would be able to pack for you for a fee would have to be a licensed outfitter, I'm not sure if there are any in that area. Deer will most likely be very high in September, but its good deer country.

Thanks TheTone. I have bearspray

Anyone else with experience south of Driggs/Victor that can offer advice on pack services, water availability (I have a filter) and altitude of elk in early Sep? I'm planning a solo archery elk/deer hunt out of Mike Harris Campground.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JRP325
Back