I need to shoot a moose.

A207X2

I’m only going to have one opportunity to get a moose. I’m 66 now and owing to some back issues that are only going to get progressively worse, I figure I have 2022 or 2023 to get it done. I’m 3 years from retirement so from a financial standpoint I don’t have the budget to do a big Alaska hunt. My total soup-to-nuts budget is going to have to stay around $8,000 all in.

Is Newfoundland the place that would best afford me the opportunity to take a moose within my budget?

Is it even possible within an $8k budget?

Holy moley. With 8 grand I would hope that you could get to AK n do a drop off hunt. Split the costs with someone. There is a lot of decent moose country available along the road system.
I don't know because I never had to try to find out. Are there transporters that do drop off hunts via river boat ?
I've never thought about it but for 8 grand you could stay at my cabin. Maybe others who would do that.
I know for me , if I waited until I could afford something or had the time. I probably wouldn't have done near as many things

I'd look at Alberta if you want to just shoot a moose.

Most of the bulls are not real large but guessing you could find a pretty good hunt for your price range and likely have a VERY good chance of getting one.

Diesel just went to $4 a gallon in my neck of the woods. When demand outpaces supply the price always goes up and Moose are no exception.
Given Covid restrictions fore a while, the demand is high, and who knows if prices will come back down.
Best wishes finding a moose on your budget.

I’m only going to have one opportunity to get a moose. I’m 66 now and owing to some back issues that are only going to get progressively worse, I figure I have 2022 or 2023 to get it done. I’m 3 years from retirement so from a financial standpoint I don’t have the budget to do a big Alaska hunt. My total soup-to-nuts budget is going to have to stay around $8,000 all in.

Is Newfoundland the place that would best afford me the opportunity to take a moose within my budget?

have you checked out Alaska? I definitely think if you do not get a full guide you can definitely get in for $8000!

have you checked out Alaska? I definitely think if you do not get a full guide you can definitely get in for $8000!
Looked into it, but can't get anywhere near that price these days. I did take a look at Alberta and found an outfitter that I'm interested in (Moose Lake Outfitters). They seem to have just what I'm looking for, and their pricing is on par with that of NL.

If I were to book an AK hunt my wife would hang my head beside the moose. I'll be lucky to get out of this whole thing for under $10k (including travel, meat, gratuities, etc.) as it is.

Looked into it, but can't get anywhere near that price these days. I did take a look at Alberta and found an outfitter that I'm interested in (Moose Lake Outfitters). They seem to have just what I'm looking for, and their pricing is on par with that of NL.
Check out Mike Ukrainetz with Mike's Outfitting out of Spirit River. I've hunted with him 5 times for bears and I know he does well on moose too.

Good lodging, good food and a relatively easy moose hunt and they always seem to tag out with gun hunters and have high success rates on bowhunters as well.

PM me if you want more info and I'll send you Mike's contact info or can answer any questions you may have.

Im am also loong to book a moose hunt in 2023 in Alaska. Do you know any fly out guides for unit 16B

Back