PEAX Equipment

I Just Have to Know

Big Sky

When you hear a rumor about fish or game in an unusual place, if you are like me, you have to go look. I can't help myself, I just have to see for myself. Sometimes it leads to a bounty and sometimes it leads nowhere, but it's always better to find out first hand. Come along on this latest adventure if you are the curious type.
[video:youtube]

When you hear a rumor about fish or game in an unusual place, if you are like me, you have to go look. I can't help myself, I just have to see for myself. Sometimes it leads to a bounty and sometimes it leads nowhere, but it's always better to find out first hand. Come along on this latest adventure if you are the curious type.
[video:youtube]
Interesting, but I’ll stay above ground.

Interesting. I figured you could catch a fish in a drinking fountain, so I was half expecting you'd find a fish in there. Still looks like a good way to spend the day exploring.

Interesting. I figured you could catch a fish in a drinking fountain, so I was half expecting you'd find a fish in there. Still looks like a good way to spend the day exploring.
The good news that I didn't include in the video is I followed the creek down the mountain a ways and found a secluded pond full of fish that I didn't know about. So fish were found, just not in the mine.

Where I grew up there was 3 lines of work for us blue-collar type folks - construction, logging, and hard rock mining. I went underground once, made it about 15 minutes and decided it was a big nope for me.

Had never experienced claustrophobia until that point, but I get heeby-jeebies just thinking about it now.

This is neat as hell. Going underground doesn’t bother me one bit but you really should wear a hard hat. It doesn’t take much of a rock falling from the back to knock you silly.

As a mine safety instructor, I urge you not to do this without proper safety training and equipment. If it helps after working in a hundreds of mines, I have never seen a fish let alone an aquatic insect.

As a mine safety instructor, I urge you not to do this without proper safety training and equipment. If it helps after working in a hundreds of mines, I have never seen a fish let alone an aquatic insect.
This is the third video I've seen recently exploring old mine workings. Crazy. That one didn't scare me as much as the other two I saw with failing ground support, sloughing ribs and no water. No support here meaning likely highly competent rock, and running water usually provides some level of air movement.

I've read too many stories of dead people being found or missing after going into abandoned mines. Risk just isn't worth it. I've seen failures in active mines and experienced enough rock bursts to respect the earth. Ever see a drill hole go oblong after drilling? That's some scarry stuff. 😀

Maybe you did make a discovery after all. An unknown type of fish-eating bat. Normally there only in the amazing region but here they are.
YOUR NUTS MAN !!!

I'm not going to argue that exploring the mine was totally safe. It wasn't, but a good percentage of what I do in life isn't overly safe. I teach school for a living on any given day a student can go mental and show up with a gun. I also spend the majority of my free time off-road, off grid, in the middle of nowhere. A lot of people die in the places I feel most at home out doors. I spend a lot of my free time with firearms. There is always a risk when firearms are involved. My point to all this is that there is always risks, some more calculated than others. In the case of the mine in this video. I can see the back of the mine from the entrance. The mine is not a secret to the locals and hundreds of people have gone in there before me. Could a rock have fallen and hit one of us in the head? Sure, but it didn't. Could it have caved in while we were in there, yes but it didn't. Could there have been an earthquake while I was in there and the whole mountain come down on me? Actually that's more likely than the other two scenarios given the seismic activity in this region. I don't explore a lot of mines or caves, but I'm not afraid to either. I do appreciate the safety advice and it is noted. I am not overly reckless, but I am not a paranoid worry-wart hiding in a closet either. However, someday I'm going to die, we all do, but in the mean time I plan to live life, and not over-worry myself out of my next adventure. I'm no spring chicken, so if I die tomorrow I can honestly say I've lived a full life.

Not sure I'm ready to go into a mine shaft, but I totally agree with the sentiment of living life I'm not suggesting to be reckless, but there are no guarantees in life, so live it while you can.

My wife works as a nurse in an extended care facility. My fear is to die in a place like that as opposed to face down in the snow with a rifle over my shoulder.
If there was ever a good way to go....... I do like your way of thinking.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sbaker
Back