I could use some prayers sent right now.

HighDesertSage

I could really use some prayers sent myway right about now, especially for my family. My heart is breaking for my kids. We got my five year old diagnosed as autistic this summer. I didn’t think it could get worse until my 2 year old got life flighted to children’s in Denver last night. We were shocked to learn he has type 1 diabeties at two years old. I know it’s a controllable disease but I feel so bad for him. He doesn’t understand why he’s getting poked ten times a day. I’d love to talk to anyone who has gone through either of this before. If you have healthy kids count your blessings. My heart is very sad tonight.

Dang. That too bad. I really feel for the little guy. Best of luck.

Sorry to hear of your unwanted opportunity to graduate from good parents to great parents. It seems overwhelming @ 1st. Your instinct to connect w other families that are succeeding in living w childhood diabetes and those whose child is "on the spectrum" of autistic disorders, is correct. You probably have already had the common experience of feeling guilt, even though rationally you know you did not seek or cause these challenges for your children. Some resources in CO:

https://www.autismcolorado.org/

https://www.childrenscolorado.org/conditions-and-advice/conditions-and-symptoms/conditions/diabetes/

http://www.ucdenver.edu/academics/c...rs/BarbaraDavis/Pages/barbaradaviscenter.aspx

My prayers are with you and your faimily having kids in that age group I feel deeply for you and wife. My wife is an early childhood educator seek out help with the autism most universities have programs to help.

I have a 3 year old son that we have suspected has Asperger's for some time now and while he's still not "diagnosed" we have had him tested and the results indicate that it's likely. Now granted Asperger's is a high functioning form of autism, it still carries with it difficulties and a negative stigma. Even though my 3 year old reads on a second grade level, speaks multiple languages, and a whole host of other truly remarkable displays of intelligence and recall, that's all he does... ever. He doesn't understand pretend or imagination or sharing or empathy.

I say all this to tell you you're not alone and there's others in your community that share your fear. We all want the absolute best for our kids and it hurts when they struggle. My wife and I had to have the same conversation you're having with your family right now and the most important thing for us was not letting our son grow up thinking there's something wrong with him. He goes to preschool to help him develop social skills, he goes to speech to work on his communication skills, and he's expected to play nice with his little brother and his new brother or sister that's on the way. You will decide what's best for your family and your kids will know you love them because you did. There are things our children may never do or experience but they are still beautiful and unique and wonderful all the same.

I'll be praying for peace on behalf of your family and I hope God gives you a great measure of it. Keep the faith and don't lose heart, there's a lot of love waiting for us in the coming years.

Ishoot.......... I read this and prayed for your children and for your wife and yourself right now 0530 AM EST

Your children will feel your love and that will keep them going.

God will keep you and Mom going.

Praying for you all. Diabetes is a nasty disease. My Great-grandmother, grandmother, mother and brother all have it or had it. Mom manages hers pretty well, although it isn't juvenile. My brother struggles some but I don't think he watches his diet real well. My wife (6th grade science teacher) has had several students that have had it since young ages like yours. It's definitely a struggle, but the kids do extraordinarily well managing it. Probably better than what most adults do. Your son is at a prime age to learn what he can eat, when, and how much, as well as what he needs to do to test and medicate for it, and it will become ingrained in him as he ages. My son was diagnosed with severe asthma at 2. By 3 he was doing his own rescue and maintenance medications with our supervision. AT 4 1/2, he reminds us when it is time for his inhalers and meds. God will get you all through it. That's the important thing to remember.

Sorry to hear this. When things like this happen to little ones it's hard on everyone.

My niece was born with some serious complications. Has had 4 open heart surgeries and a few other major surgeries. I think she was in the hospital almost half her first year of life. You would never know there is something wrong with her. That little 3yo is stronger than any adult I know.

Thinking about your family.

Back