I built a custom rifle

SCliving Outdoors

About 3 or 4 years ago I started researching the perfect gun I wanted for backpack hunting. I really wanted a custom rifle. I don't just buy guns to buy them. I own a few guns and each of them have a specific purpose. I've actually sold guns because I wasn't using them. All the guns I found that were exactly what I wanted were $6,000-8,000 and that was just for the gun. No bipod, scope, rings ect. I don't make a ton of money. I afford to hunt all over by saving money. I couldn't afford a custom gun without saving for 3 or 4 years. So just like everything else I started doing my research. I came to the conclusion that I could build a gun myself and it would be EXACTLY what I wanted. On top of that I could save myself many thousands of dollars. I absolutely love my other Tikka so thats where I started. Below are the specs.

Bought a new Tikka T3 300WM off Gunbroker - I striped it down. I sold the barrel and stock to recoup some of my build cost.
Carbon6 Barrel - Custom carbon fiber barrel. 1/8 twist 22". Straight Jacket side baffel brake.
Mesa Precision Arms Altitude Stock - Custom carbon fiber for a Tikka with my barrel contour. Alpine paint job.
Bolt fluting by longrifleinc.
Bolt handle from glades armory.
The reciever is Cerakoted in tungsten.
Aluminum bottom metal from Atlasworxs.
DNZ one piece mounts.
Leupold VX5HD 3-15x44.

The gun weighs 9lb 6oz. That is fully decked out just like you see it in the pics (mounts, scope, bipod ect). The gun weighs exactly 7lbs bare. I'm really really proud of this gun. I researched for over 3 years. Saved for a year and a half and ordered parts/built the gun over the course of a year. I haven't shot it yet bc my ammo hasn't come it yet, but I have total confidence it is going to be a tack driver.

I realize that a gun like this isn't for everyone. I also realize you don't have to have a gun like this for backpack or any type hunting, but I really wanted a super nice gun. So I decided to build one.

Tikka.jpg
Tikka 2.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like you forgot the pic, but sounds bada$$. I love my Tikka’s. It makes me want to build out my 300 wm. Next goal (gazing into the sky)... I recently bought at Tikka T3x Lite Veil Wideland. It is an amazing rifle. Hope to see pics soon.

Nice job—that’s a sweet looking rifle. Did you stick with the 300 Win cartridge, or chamber for something different? And how was your experience with getting your bolt fluted with LRI? (I’m considering sending a couple bolts to them for fluting.)

Post a range report when you get a chance!

Nice job—that’s a sweet looking rifle. Did you stick with the 300 Win cartridge, or chamber for something different? And how was your experience with getting your bolt fluted with LRI? (I’m considering sending a couple bolts to them for fluting.)

Post a range report when you get a chance!

I kept it in 300wm. Planning on shooting 200gr eld x.

LRI was awesome. Zero issues. It only took like 2 weeks I think. Way faster then I expected.

I think alot of the numbers you see on websites for weights on guns are bare. If I removed the brake, scope, mounts, bipod ect the gun weighs 7lbs exactly.

Nothing wrong with a 9.5LB gun, especially given the capability it has. Scope and bipod (Atlas' are .75lbs alone) are both nice choices, but all also on the heavier side. For those questioning the weight, swapping to light options on each and you could easily drop a pound. Looks like good choices and ended up with a really nice rifle....

Beautiful rifle, even though I am partial to walnut. As far as weight goes, if you want to shoot a .300 WinMag enough to feel confident of your shots, that is just right.

You didn't happen to build 2 on accident and wanna sell the 2nd one do ya?? Haha almost exactly what I want to do...

You didn't happen to build 2 on accident and wanna sell the 2nd one do ya?? Haha almost exactly what I want to do...

Everything is for sale for the right price, lol. I do understand why custom shops charge so much though, bc for me to sell it it would have to be priced like a custom shop.

For those interested -

The gun did not like the ELD-x. I couldn’t get them to group. I was getting frustrated. Ive always been an accubond fan so I switched over to nosler trophy grade 180gr accubonds. Below are the first 3 shots I made. No sand bags. Just laying down in the back of my truck with the bipod. 3/4” group at 233yds. I’ll get it adjusted over then start stretching it out a little bit.
9D2D71DE-23D3-4809-AF5F-EBFA0C2D6245.jpeg

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back