Hunting with Partners - Who Get's the First Shot?

When I'm hunting with my friend, we are rarely close enough to each other to each have a shot a any given animal, but when we do, the opportunity goes to whoever spotted the deer first. We really don't worry about it and it's never caused any friction.

I'm at the point in my life that killing an animal isn't that important to me. I'm more than happy to let someone else shoot first. This attitude started when I started hunting with my kids.

On our first antelope hunting trip, my friend Jerry and I didn't consider who got to shoot first until the herd was walking in front of us. Then we were like Disney's Chip and Dale politely arguing..."Go ahead. You take the shot." "Oh no, you first." "You please, I insist." I finally took a shot and we both filled our tags, but after that we always flipped a coin before leaving the truck in the morning.

Flip a coin, draw straws, whoever glasses it up. It doesn't matter. My hunting group has used all of those methods. You just have to find what works for you. Like most everyone else had said, communication is the key. Make sure both of you know the deal before you get out of the truck.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back