Caribou Gear

Hunting with horses

JDR

Anyone here have horses???? and what horse would make a good trail,hunting horse(wilderness,shed hunting and all around trail riding)
Getting back into horses and would like your imput on how you like your horses and how they work for your type of hunting and outdoor use(post a pic if you have one of your favorite trail partner)

I use horses in some country - All of them are working quarter horses off of the ranch. Some work well, others not at all. The horse can not be gun shy, can not be blood shy, and MUST have at least six months in rough country so he has his feet under him. Secondly, ride him (them) hard for at least a month prior to hunting so they are in "hunting" shape. We have had several folks kill horses in our county. They bring "flat land" horses in with no water, not in shape, and they do not have their feet on them. Some real disasters there!!!

JDR California Hunter is right. I have 3 horses I hunt with. They all pack, pack game and handle the rough country. I start riding one and leading one 3 or 4 nights a week in August. That way they each get worked hard at least once a week and led once. I step it up the last several weeks before the season which includes an all day ride on a weekend day 2 or 3 weeks in a row before the season. If you aren't willing or able to do this, save yourself the grief. In my country it's 50 to 60 $ a month per horse to feed them, 60 dollars every 2 months to shoe them (June through Nov.) and 60.00 per horse to get Coggins test and health certificates before you transport them out of state. The upside is, I,ve used horses for the last 7 years and have filled every elk tag I've drawn. I packed 10 miles into the Rubies in Nv. last year and saw 25 to 40 bucks a day and only a couple of hunters in a week. You don't care where you are or how far the pack out is, just pull the trigger and let the horse do the work. If you're willing to do the pre-season work and cover the expenses, you'll love it. If you get family members involved, the pre-season work is easier.

Cali thanks for the reply,Im in the process of building the barn right now and then the horse search really begins.I dont plan on it this year but next will be the mayden voyege.Probly into the Marbles or the Trinities for blacktail first then Im planning on the out of state adventure.Ive got some great horse packers as friends and they are guiding me in the right direction. :D

What part of Norte Cal. are you in? I'm only 2 hours from the Marbles. I ride in the Warners and Caribou Wilderness every summer. Once you get into it, let me know. I don't profess to be an expert but I've learned alot the hard way and am willing to help. When you start buying equipment you can't go wrong with Outfitterssupply. www.outfitterssupply.com Their equipment is top quality including the hard, plastic pack boxes and they do work well for some applications.

Cali i live on the coast on the Cali/Oregon line and as well about two to three hours from the trailheads to the marbles and trinity alps area.thanks for the link for the outfitter supply company it will help when I get started.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back