PEAX Equipment

Hunting with a suppressed rifle?

For those who use a suppressor on a 300wm, what barrel length are you running? My rifle has a 26” barrel and I’m concerned about adding even more length.

There are not yet really any commercially available big game appropriate sub sonic calibers out there for any use past 100 yards IMHO (338blk shows some promise, and 45-70 absolutely works to a point). The expanding 188gn 300blk from Discreet will no doubt kill deer sized game with authority up close, but its not practical on anything much bigger or farther out. I would argue that super sonic ammo through a suppressor is 100% using the can to its potential, by taking much of the muzzle blast away which is the biggest interface the shooter has with the sound from gunfire. Super sonic ammo obviously creates a sonic crack, but it is a much smaller part of the equation when shooting suppressed.

1. You're way off base on that one. Some barrels are too thin for the thread size normally associated with their caliber ie: 5/8-24 for .308. In those cases, the barrel is normally threaded for something like 7/16-28 or even 1/2-28 a direct thread adapter is used in the can, or a thread adapter, or a taper mount or other QD muzzle device in the appropriate thread. Additionally, some barrels are threaded so that the crown of the barrel bottoms out on the inside of the muzzle device to allow a shoulder when the barrel is otherwise too thin to provide one. Pressure is not an issue in common calibers, neither at the threads even small ones (300wm is commonly used on 1/2-28 threads for hunting applications) nor anywhere else in the system.

2. For 3 seasons I carried 2 different 260rem rifles with 22 inch barrels with 8 and 9 inch long suppressors with no issues whatsoever. For the last 3 seasons, I have carried a 26" barrel 300wm with an 8" long suppressor. Its been a non-issue for me, you just have to be cognizant of your muzzle. If you live in a very brushy place, something like a 30-30 or my 1895 in 45/70 with an 18" barrel and an 8" can would be awesome. I had a Ruger Predator in 260rem (yet another with 22" barrel) and it carried really well, they are great rifles.

3. There are maybe 2 suppressor manufacturers that make cans that slip onto a flash hider anymore, that is an antiquated legacy design for the military. It is also something intended for carbines and not for precision shooting, would be a very poor choice for hunting. With a taper mount like Griffin, or a QD like Silencerco or Dead Air, the mount stays on the barrel threads, so there are no cross threading or torque issues.

Respectfully, it sounds like you have zero personal experience with suppressors and have misunderstood some of what you were told by people who may have had some experience. What you have raised as issues are not, and hunting with a suppressor is easier now than it has ever been.
Well said!

Yea, it is surprising that you don’t across the pond. I can see why game wardens would be against it but I would think that the money to be made from their use would do some talking...

Not many European countries allow them either. I know Spain does and Germany only recently.
Primarily because of politics. It was slow, but the majority of the states allow the use of suppressors for hunting. At least here in Montana, the LE Game Warden I talked to is not against suppressors because they know poachers will do the crime with or without suppressors.

BTW, I was stationed in RAF Lakentheath, Brandon, UK in 2000-2003 and would have loved to hunt the highlands, but I cannot get the right information on time. All my co-workers are non-hunters. Maybe someday ...

For those who use a suppressor on a 300wm, what barrel length are you running? My rifle has a 26” barrel and I’m concerned about adding even more length.
Seems like you'd have a hard time trying to find an affordable gun case of the proper length unless they can be screwed on and off in a jiffy. All of my rifles have 26 inch barrels with #4 sporter or magnum contours.

Last edited:
I chuckle when I see a guy walking thru the woods with a rifle that appears to be sporting a 4' barrel. He probably has better hearing than I do. My big objection to suppressors is coupling them with night vision makes poachers more efficient. I have a hard enough time trying to find a decent buck without some knucklehead running around at night killing em off.

How often do they require cleaning?

Centerfire suppressors that are used as range toys with heavy firing schedules (ie-sub-guns and machine guns) will need cleaning fairly often. This is usually determined by weight at time of first use versus weight as time progresses. Individual manufacturers will have a cleaning schedule for your particular can. I don't expect to ever need to clean the internals of my hunting cans. The long barrels and high quality powders and projectiles tend to keep them pretty clean. You will need to occasionally clean off the mating surfaces and exterior of your can and muzzle. As I explained one time here before, in the US, our cans are built for life due to the time and expense to acquire them, so they are full of titanium, stainless steel, inconel, stellite, etc. This type of can is sealed and non-serviceable, the materials used allow them to be cleaned with a bath of acetic acid and hydrogen peroxide (this mix plus the lead build up in the can creates led acetate, which is super dangerous, so be 100% sure you know what you are doing).

Most cans will quiet down a little as they get dirty, a fully clean can will be the loudest that can will be. Rimfire cans are a different story, most will need cleaning around 1000 rounds (or even less). Some rimfire can designs will be nearly impossible to disassemble if not cleaned soon enough. Really light rimfire cans with aluminum baffles or a monocore will need to be cleaned by hand and brush, or maybe in a safe liquid in a hydro sonic cleaner. Heavier rimfire cans with stainless baffles can be cleaned in a wet tumbler with stainless media.

My .30 LARA (pictured in #13) is 27". My .270 AI has 30". No problem with either one, but both have a #6 contour.

Primarily because of politics. It was slow, but the majority of the states allow the use of suppressors for hunting. At least here in Montana, the LE Game Warden I talked to is not against suppressors because they know poachers will do the crime with or without suppressors.

BTW, I was stationed in RAF Lakentheath, Brandon, UK in 2000-2003 and would have loved to hunt the highlands, but I cannot get the right information on time. All my co-workers are non-hunters. Maybe someday ...
Let me know if you need any info or help. A friend of mine guides on an estate.

My favorites for hunting are the Ultra 5 and Ultra 7 from Thunder Beast. The SilencerCo Harvester is another one I'd consider, and I'm sure there are many good ones I'm unaware of. Suppressors are legal for hunting in most places as shown in this pic and link.
Screen Shot 2020-12-27 at 10.29.00 AM.png

Some people don't like them at all for hunting, but I do.

My favorites for hunting are the Ultra 5 and Ultra 7 from Thunder Beast. The SilencerCo Harvester is another one I'd consider, and I'm sure there are many good ones I'm unaware of. Suppressors are legal for hunting in most places as shown in this pic and link.
View attachment 167831

Some people don't like them at all for hunting, but I do.
Cool, thanks for sharing.

I have hunted all around South Africa and Namibia, and all of the locals over there use suppressors. They all look at it as a safety issue. They don’t want to blow their hunting buddy’s eardrum out by shooting next to him.

I have hunted all around South Africa and Namibia, and all of the locals over there use suppressors. They all look at it as a safety issue. They don’t want to blow their hunting buddy’s eardrum out by shooting next to him.

Do fines quadruple if you are caught poaching using a suppressed firearm? If not they should be.

Would it be sufficient to screw them on just hand tight? That way you could remove them for easy carrying in a conventional case and put them back on when you're ready to go afield.

Back