Hunting with a AR 556 MPR

feedback

I’m still getting used to using Hunt Talk. I’ve always wanted a AR type rifle and I was finally able to get one. I’m going to be putting flip up open sites on it till I can afford and find the scope I want for it. What kind of hunting can I use this type of weapon for? I enjoy shooting targets with it, but I was wondering what everyone’ Thoughts were when it came to using it for hunting. Thank you for your time and God Bless, also be safe out there.

Works good for me. Took deer and coyotes no problem with it. Daughter used it to take her first deer and was great for her as it had little recoil.

Bullets are important and my suggestions would be different depending on the type of game you're going after. Anything that is accurate and expanding works for coyotes and varmints. For deer, my suggestion would be dependent upon what twist your barrel has. That said, a 55-65gr softpoint will work with about all twists. I killed a doe pronghorn with a 55gr PSP from Remington.

check regs also some states have specific issues that effect AR's and there built choices: capacity limits, 60gr expanding bullet etc...

Michigan looks to have capacity limits, so you would need a 5 round mag or solution to limit it to 5 rounds. Only allowed north of the limited firearm zones if I'm reading correctly. I'd spend some time looking over your state regs and reach out to DNR for any clarification.

I see that you are from MI. Me too.. I have used mine for several seasons on and off here in MI.. I would like to mention a couple of things.. If you want to use it for deer..

Get a quality bullet, either a bonded copper/lead or a pure copper bullet. Shoot only for broadside double lung shots.. Also make sure that you are able to hit where you aim and if you do all of these it will do the job quite well..

Last edited:
Bullets are important and my suggestions would be different depending on the type of game you're going after. Anything that is accurate and expanding works for coyotes and varmints. For deer, my suggestion would be dependent upon what twist your barrel has. That said, a 55-65gr softpoint will work with about all twists. I killed a doe pronghorn with a 55gr PSP from Remington.
It’s has a 1 and 8 twist. If I’ve said that right which I’m pretty sure that I have.

I have never killed anything with my AR, but my daughter and niece have both killed deer with it. 65gr SGK over H4895 has been the best on game performance so far. 62gr TTSX has also worked, but hope to find and try out some Nosler BSBs next for when my 5 year old son starts using it in a couple of years.

Lots of good options on bullets, so no need to use varmint bullets on deer.

For general plinking, etc I use Hornady 55gr SPs with cannelure, but don’t crimp them. They are cheap and accurate.

My personal preference is a bolt gun in hand, but ARs have their place

I have never killed anything with my AR, but my daughter and niece have both killed deer with it. 65gr SGK over H4895 has been the best on game performance so far. 62gr TTSX has also worked, but hope to find and try out some Nosler BSBs next for when my 5 year old son starts using it in a couple of years.
Nosler quit making the BSB but is now producing a 70gr Accubond.. I haven't tried any but it should be a winner if it performs like it's bigger brothers..

I've heard of folks having great results with the 77gr TMK ammo from Black Hills on deer. I'd give it a try. I'd also consider the Speer Gold Dot ammo or Federal Fusion if you'd like a bonded bullet.
Federal fusion and Speers gold dot now use the same bullet. The 62gr Gold dot is my go to deer bullet in my AR loaded over AA 2520.. Great accuracy and speed.. . I'm getting around 3000fps out of my 18 inch 1:7 barrel..

My daughter has had good results on deer with 62gr Fusion.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ram0307
Back