Hunting Restriction Bill to Be Introduced in Indiana

dgibson

From the U.S. Sportsmen's Alliance: <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>
An Indiana State Senator has announced that she will pursue legislation that will restrict hunting in the state and impose tougher trespass penalties.

Senator Rose Antich (D-Lake, Porter) is planning to sponsor a bill that will prohibit hunting within 200 yards of an inhabited residence. This legislation is being prepared in response to unfounded safety concerns and landowner conflicts.

The safety concerns ignore the impressive record that hunting continues to exhibit. Last year, nearly fifteen million people hunted. During that time, only 78 were killed in accidents, and none of those killed were neighbors or bystanders. A National Safety Council report says hunting is safer than swimming, bicycling, and playing baseball, golf, tennis and basketball.

Senator Antich’s bill will make hunting in urban zones virtually impossible. Most citizens are concerned about skyrocketing deer populations, so now is not the time to place additional restrictions on hunting, the most effective and economic population control.

This bill is unnecessary and counter-productive. Senator Antich can count on solid opposition from the U.S. Sportsmen’s Alliance and its members in Indiana if she follows through with her intention to introduce this legislation.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> http://www.ussportsmen.org/interactive/features/Read.cfm?ID=980

MY OPINION: On the surface it sounds like a reasonable measure, but the accident statistics aren't there to justify it. What's more, it will put an end to a lot of good hunting in Indiana; there's a lot of dove fields, woodlots, and fencerows within 200 yards of farmhouses. As usual, they're trying to substitute pointless laws for good safety practices.

Somebody can correct me if I am wrong...but here in Ohio there is a restriction for no hunting within 400 feet of a building...but you can be closer if you have the landowners permission to do so. It only stinks when yopu are on public lands and there is a building and when the house is on adjoining land.

But any new restriction is not a plus.

Arizona has the same law, I think you have to be 440 yards (1/4 mile) from any dwelling. Of course if you have permission from the owner of the dwelling, then you can shoot off the porch, legally. Oh, and the rule doesnt apply to archery equipment.

I'm curious to know how Indiana's Porter and Lake districts are zoned and platted. I suspect this bill is just another anti-hunting thinly camoflauged in "public safety" language.

If the above mentioned districts are suburbs than I suspect that a 200 yard radius from that areas' residences would eliminate hunting in most wood lots and greenbelts adjacent to subdivisions. If passed, this bill would deny residents many "before work" and "after work" hunting opportunities which would most likely have the effect of putting more pressure on the remaining rural areas.

Heads up Indiana!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mttedoc
Back