Hunting partner/mentor SoCal

Mako

Hello, while I'm not new to hunting per se, I'm new to big game hunting. I always hunted upland bird, so shotgun only. I'm in my 40's so starting out a bit late in life. Big game hunting is going to be a new adventure for me. I have D11 and D14 tags. Hoping to meet someone that can show me the ropes, including skinning/gutting, quartering out a deer etc. Let me know, or possibly point me to any hunting clubs I may be able to join where I can find some help.

Thanks

I'm too far to be any help but there are quite a few so cal guys that are part of Backcountry Hunters and Anglers. I know with covid there aren't any pint nights going on, but whenever there's a local meet up, that's a good place to find yourself a local mentor.

I am also a bit far, and similarly inexperienced. I had not been involved in field dressing or butchering a deer prior to my first public land hunt two years ago. I was able to get it done using the how to videos on Randy's Youtube page. Finding his page was actually what got me out hunting in the first place. The Meateater Youtube page also has tons of good detailed how to videos as well. Good luck out there.

Hello, while I'm not new to hunting per se, I'm new to big game hunting. I always hunted upland bird, so shotgun only. I'm in my 40's so starting out a bit late in life. Big game hunting is going to be a new adventure for me. I have D11 and D14 tags. Hoping to meet someone that can show me the ropes, including skinning/gutting, quartering out a deer etc. Let me know, or possibly point me to any hunting clubs I may be able to join where I can find some help.

Thanks
Im a little late to the thread but am in the SoCAL area as well. I am new to hunting as well and am looking for someone to go out with. Went out to D15 this last weekend, no luck. Have you had any luck finding a "Mentor"?

No. I’m supposed to go hunting with my cousin who lives in the area, but he hasn’t been really forthcoming so far. I may have to pay for a guide my first time out, or at least until I get a deer. I just need someone to teach me how to skin, field dress and quarter. After that I will be good to go on my own.

No. I’m supposed to go hunting with my cousin who lives in the area, but he hasn’t been really forthcoming so far. I may have to pay for a guide my first time out, or at least until I get a deer. I just need someone to teach me how to skin, field dress and quarter. After that I will be good to go on my own.
One piece of advice is that for the vast majority, animals are put together the same. So breaking down a rabbit vs a deer is very similar.… maybe practice small

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NMArcheryCoues24
Back