PEAX Equipment

Hunting License Required to visit SWA

Not sure how I feel about that idea. Kind of takes the "public" out of public land. I believe many of the people who are hardest on the land (abuse, trash, etc) won't be bothering themselves with buying any license to be up there anyway.

Interesting, here’s the article on CPW

Not sure how I feel about that idea. Kind of takes the "public" out of public land. I believe many of the people who are hardest on the land (abuse, trash, etc) won't be bothering themselves with buying any license to be up there anyway.

These aren't public lands... so...

State wildlife areas (SWAs) are state- or privately-owned lands that offer state managed, wildlife-related recreation to the public. While most activities focus on hunting and fishing, each SWA has different allowed activities based on location and available resources. These parcels of SWA land are paid for by sportsmen and sportswomen, and managed under state law by Colorado Parks and Wildlife employees for the benefit of wildlife. CPW manages about 350 SWA lands around the state.

We, Colorado license holders, pay for hunting/access leases on these properties with our license dollars.

Sorry, should have said public use land.

Some of these SWAs are used marginally by hunters/anglers yet get pounded by non-consumptive users. The lack of hunter use is typically due directly to the amount of runners, hikers, etc on the property. These other groups impact the properties a lot and should pay their fair share.

Last edited:
Some of these SWAs are used marginally by hunters/anglers yet get pounded by non-consumptive users. The lack of hunter use is typically a do directly to the amount of runners, hikers, etc on the property. These other groups impact the properties a lot and should pay their fair share.

Yes. Most definitely. CA had something similar. Hunting and/or fishing license was your pass to access their SWAs. Other users (bird/wildlife watchers, mountain bikers. Etc.) were supposed to pay a day use fee, or buy some sort of pass. Next to no one ever did!

I like this requirement. Might stop the bird watchers from walking through my Turkey decoys.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back