MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Hunting gear that punches BELOW its price point

When i was a teenager i bought the helicopter and flying lure. Don't think i ever caught a fish on the helicopter lure and i did catch a few in the flying lure, but nowhere near as many as the infomercial said i would
Reading this made me think of the “banjo minnow”. Never bought one but always wondered if anyone did and caught fish. I’m guessing they caught more fisherman than fish with those. 😄

the new version Salomon 4d gtx boot, leak like a sieve, about half as stiff as the predesesor, clearly the arent made on the same last, ive owned 8 pairs same boot same size till this year, i wear them virtually everyday and buy a new pair right before hunting season ea year,, the 3d version is even worse,,,,
Oh man…I love those boots. Was just thinking about another pair. What a shame. They aren’t cheap either, so why cut the corners and risk degrading the loyalty customers have for them? Thanks for posting this.

The 3pc design of that rifle cover is meant for backpack hunting and saving weight. It’s designed to protect your rifle muzzle, scope/action and stock when the rifle is strapped to your backpack or slung over your shoulder while hiking especially in brush/nasty terrain. It also compacts very small when not in use unlike a bulky one piece case.
It’s astounding to me that you continually post comments about things you clearly have never used or most likely even seen.
I see. So though you've never used the gun bikini you're the expert on how very useful it is? And yet you are critical of me, another non user, for merely questioning the utility of said bikini. Kinda hypocritical? If I was of a mind to tie my gun to my back, which I would never do, especially in rough country where I might be more prone to fall down the mountain, and if I was overly concerned about protecting it from the elements, I'd invest in a gun sock. I do know something about them. Here the law requires that guns be totally encased after shooting hours. Hunters who walk out after dark carry a sock in their packs to encase guns after hours. Super compact and lightweight. I can't believe a sock wouldn't do a better job of protecting ALL the gun strapped to a pack... and at a fraction of the price. Easy enough to poke a couple holes in the sock for sling swivels. Admittedly I have no experience with them either. No need. After dark I remove the bolt from my Springfield and put it in the pack. A disabled gun is no longer a gun. Then it's back on my shoulder where it belongs.

This discussion calls to mind the African white hunter carry ... straddling a rifle on top of the shoulder, grasping the barrel with one hand, muzzle pointed at the PH walking in front of client (crazy!). Using a sling is taboo. Fashion taboos don't apply to this guy. When chasing buffalo around in the thick stuff I detached my sling and the tracker put it in his pack. Otherwise I slung the gun on my shoulder. Be damned if I'd let the stock rub a hole in my collar bone. Looking the part ain't that important. For me not looking the part is more important.

Last edited:
I see. So though you've never used the gun bikini you're the expert on how very useful it is? And yet you are critical of me, another non user, for merely questioning the utility of said bikini. Kinda hypocritical? If I was of a mind to tie my gun to my back, which I would never do, especially in rough country where I might be more prone to fall down the mountain, and if I was overly concerned about protecting it from the elements, I'd invest in a gun sock. I do know something about them. Here the law requires that guns be totally encased after shooting hours. Hunters who walk out after dark carry a sock in their packs to encase guns after hours. Super compact and lightweight. I can't believe a sock wouldn't do a better job of protecting ALL the gun strapped to a pack... and at a fraction of the price. Easy enough to poke a couple holes in the sock for sling swivels. Admittedly I have no experience with them either. No need. After dark I remove the bolt from my Springfield and put it in the pack. A disabled gun is no longer a gun.
While I have personally never actually used it, I use a different cover for my scope/action and electrical tape my muzzlebrake. I have friends who have them and that I hunt with and have seen it first hand. A gun sock could be used in much the same fashion just with less protection from the elements. Like I said to each their own and what they want to use.

Marine Scout/Snipers had a gunny bags for dry weather & oilcloth for the monsoons,some I saw anyway. Same with the 50's. They made some cleaver stuff with what they had.
We had the same on the deck guns.

I use a scope coat & tape my mz....both of which punch above .

I see. So though you've never used the gun bikini you're the expert on how very useful it is? And yet you are critical of me, another non user, for merely questioning the utility of said bikini. Kinda hypocritical? If I was of a mind to tie my gun to my back, which I would never do, especially in rough country where I might be more prone to fall down the mountain, and if I was overly concerned about protecting it from the elements, I'd invest in a gun sock. I do know something about them. Here the law requires that guns be totally encased after shooting hours. Hunters who walk out after dark carry a sock in their packs to encase guns after hours. Super compact and lightweight. I can't believe a sock wouldn't do a better job of protecting ALL the gun strapped to a pack... and at a fraction of the price. Easy enough to poke a couple holes in the sock for sling swivels. Admittedly I have no experience with them either. No need. After dark I remove the bolt from my Springfield and put it in the pack. A disabled gun is no longer a gun. Then it's back on my shoulder where it belongs.

This discussion calls to mind the African white hunter carry ... straddling a rifle on top of the shoulder, grasping the barrel with one hand, muzzle pointed at the PH walking in front of client (crazy!). Using a sling is taboo. Fashion taboos don't apply to this guy. When chasing buffalo around in the thick stuff I detached my sling and the tracker put it in his pack. Otherwise I slung the gun on my shoulder. Be damned if I'd let the stock rub a hole in my collar bone. Looking the part ain't that important. For me not looking the part is more important.
Why is it every time I see you comment on something I do one of two things.

Prep myself to lose IQ points after reading a novel about nothing.

or

I pretend like you are not there.

Why is it every time I see you comment on something I do one of two things.

Prep myself to lose IQ points after reading a novel about nothing.

or

I pretend like you are not there.
You better give my posts a pass then. You obviously don't have any IQ points to spare.

5DE227F9-0DA7-4632-B889-AB565453A756.jpeg5F302F8A-35FB-45F1-AD50-BB287B466816.jpeg291AC497-25F9-40EE-81AF-715CA10CD7AF.jpeg2F1034B2-BF29-4E79-BAFB-9DEB17D1B4C1.jpeg
For all of you questioning the rifle purse, specifically @OntarioHunter… I use a full length soft case in the truck but no way in hell that thing is leaving the truck. When covering rough ski try it is nice to have the extra padding and it wraps around the bolt and trigger keeping it much cleaner than a traditional neoprene scope cover. And best of all when your hunting partner loses and bet and has to carry your rifle he can carry two rifles in a variety of ways so he doesn’t get to sore.

It may have been explained in more detail but curious about the folks who said Havalon knives?

I love using them and have a hard time seeing the argument, unless you think they are overpriced to start with.

One tip for those who do use them that helps with the punching to price point ratio: You can buy the blades online and in bulk packages by just searching for medical scalpel blades in the appropriate size. They are marked up when you buy the little twelve packs with Havalon branding on them.

View attachment 205667View attachment 205668View attachment 205669View attachment 205670
For all of you questioning the rifle purse, specifically @OntarioHunter… I use a full length soft case in the truck but no way in hell that thing is leaving the truck. When covering rough ski try it is nice to have the extra padding and it wraps around the bolt and trigger keeping it much cleaner than a traditional neoprene scope cover. And best of all when your hunting partner loses and bet and has to carry your rifle he can carry two rifles in a variety of ways so he doesn’t get to sore.
so based on this pic you and your buddy have matching rifle purses? Hmmm…. 🤠

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T_allen7
Back