Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Hunting elk in a drought.

I’ve hunted over there some, elk are highly mobile in that area, possible for them move 5-20 miles to find better feed and less hunting pressure. I never got to hunt private through, so that should be better. Good luck

The summer has a while to go so hope for a weather change with some decent moisture before your hunt. If the elk usually travel through or hangout in or around the landowners property, they won't be far away. Some good early fall moisture will have those hay fields greening up before the snow starts to fall.

Good luck with your hunt. I hope that you are successful in filling that tag.

I'll add that @EYJONAS gave some good insight above.
That's a tough question. Elk can water any time of the day. Sometimes twice if it's hot enough.
Any chance the owner can make a water hole?
Is this land near Leadore Idaho by any chance?

Living in a place with little to no natural water and being the short grass prairie lands, I found year round water can make a difference. Cattle water.
I have elk year round due to my water. Not all the time nor daily. But every elk in the area knows where they can find water.
Feed & cover is spread out and they will move miles each day if they have to for it. Any green spot is found quick here. 2000 ft of elevation change here is nothing for them.
Every elk in the area was here for a couple weeks as I had the only green grass after a good shower in June.Rains in area the last week has changed that.
But they were here for my water again this morning. Some.

I'm not sure if we could make a waterhole but I don't see any reason why the elk wouldn't drink out of the cattle water tank. I'm just guessing they would. There wouldn't be any cattle in these pastures that time of year so we probably should have the tanks running all year so the elk know it's there.

The bottom flats are hay fields and they run up to where the hill starts to climb and then you meet the Ponderosa Pine where the elk bed. The other hilly parts of the pasture are grazed after he's done haying.
They will drink out of the cattle tanks if they are there. Hope you kill a giant!

Does onx show you where there are little seeps that might hold water even if it is quite small but enough for elk to get a drink? I can't seem to find it if it does. I can't even get mine to show me water that I know is there. Any suggestions?

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jerrod12
Back