HUNTING DENSE COVER

SPOTTED OWL

Here in Western Washington, most of the elk
terrain is in some of the thickest nastiest
cover God ever created. So heres my question.
How much dense terrain will you endure to
get your elk, or do you have an attitude
of not persueing elk in their bedding areas?
I know the bow hunters are animals, and will
take it to the limit when it comes to dense
cover hunting. I'm a rifle hunter for now,
so any input is appreciated.

Spotted owl...I will pretty much go wherever it takes to get to the bulls but with one thing in mind> there are gonna be elk when I get there. In other words there is no sense in plowing through if you are going to spook em out before you arrive. If you know there is a bull in the area just sit downwind and be patient. If at all possible sit downhill late in the afternoon and watch. Generally he will bust out feeding downhill along the creeks and draws try hunting the north to northeast facing slopes as the sun doesn't hit in those drainages much creating a moist lush high vegetation feeding station for these big nastys. Look for fresh sign in these feeder patches heading up and down with not a lot of side to side. Look for the crap to be cupped on one end as a cow is pointed on both ends. Also look for the back hoof to be cutting the front hoof track in half on a bull. A mature cow will generally always step outside its front foot because calving will spread her hips.

Ray:

Good advice! With all the elk you've knocked
down, I'm pretty sure you know what your talking about. Your address says you live
in Snohomish. How long have you lived there?
I got a theory you probally lived somewhere
in the Forks area with all those big Roosevelts you've killed. Just curious. :rolleyes:

Spotted Owl:
I lived in the Forks area for almost 30 years and I made it my life passion to learn the habits of those big nasties. There is no time of the year when I do not know where those big boys are at. Delw is right in the fact if you are hunting herds that you can always track em down or flush em out but the big boys in rifle season are not with the herds. They are loned out usually in the head of a huge drainage with very very very limitted access. If they get pressured they will simply head for the border (USNPS). That is just the way it works over here in Western Washington. But that doesn't mean I guy can't get em cause you can it simply means you have to play be their rules.

when I hunted them on the oly penisula we always followed elk trails. most of them seemed to bed in a Y of the canyon... for us back then we ussually jumped them out of the bed and shot them....

Delw

Ray:

Any chance you know Jim Mansfield who lives
in Forks? I met him up when I was hunting the
Dickey. He was nice enough to show me around
the area. I would have loved to hire him as
a guide, but he was up to his neck in fishing
clients. I remember asking him how hard it
would be to get a big bull. He kinda started
laughing, and said when I was ready to hunt
big elk, I'd better be carrying a bow instead
of a rifle. After afew long talks, and seeing
some of the toads that sucker shot, it all
made sense. That guy is a wild man when he's
talking elk, kinda like he's posessed. Anyway, I hope to be hunting elk with a bow
starting next year. I know it won't be any
easier. I just want to see some more animals,
and have some more action!!!

Spotted Owl:
Jimmy is a good friend of mine and Ya he is one of the crew when it comes to hunting elk. He is one of the best fishing guides on the penninsula along with Gordon S. Gracey (one of my best friends). They call me the elk asassin out there. If you see him, tell him I have already seen that big boy on Rugged ridge and it has my name written all over it. Don't be standing too close when you say it!!

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 06-29-2002 23:23: Message edited by: raybow 1 ]</font>

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back