MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Hunting Day Packs

tmvikings

Lots of options for hunting day packs, looking for some advice to find the right pack - Want something lightweight that can carry the basics- Optics, raingear, knife, water. The pack will be used for bow hunting mule deer out west. Plus would be a sidearm carry option. Another plus would be something that could carry out some meat but not too heavy to carry around all day.
Thanks
Mystery Ranch Scapegoat? too big?

Luckily for you there are a ton of options out there. MR makes great stuff.

MR, EXO, and Kifaru all make great packs that can be compressed or take off extras for day packs and the weight difference is minimal. I like to be efficient with my gear so I have gone that route and it works well for me. Additionally, you can buy multiple EXO packs and interchange them on the frame. I think SG does that too but am not sure about MR or Kifaru.

Posted yesterday inquiring about the Mystery Ranch Pop-Up 28 and by chance it went on sale today on Schnee's website (239.20 vs. 299). After spending a good amount of time doing research and input from other HTers I snagged this pack today! I'm stoked.

For deer/antelope, I use a Kuiu Icon pro 3200. There a couple things I don't like about it but overall it is good. My wife won a MR Pop Up 28 at a RMEF banquet this spring and it looks to be a great pack.

I love my MR Scapegoat 35. Its slender and light and can hold a days worth of stuff as well as facilitate the first load out when hauling meat. I have hauled two elk shoulders on the way to the truck for the meat hauling rig with mine and have nothing bad to say about it.

My exo 3500 is my "do all" pack. Everything from 3d shoots to fishing to week long excursions. They offer a 2000ci size for day bag size. They are also getting ready to drop their new line in July with new sizes.

Last edited:
I know these bigger packs are meant to pack down small for day hunts, but
my problem is the bigger the pack, the more I wanna stuff in it...

Back