hunting cats

sm

hey guys: i'm way up here in canada and will never get a chance to hunt mountain lion like you do but would love to hear some stories.
smile.gif

happy hunting everyone

scott

I'm with ya sm,I sure like readin them lion stories too.HoundDawg,Kevin,Waycool...come on back and tell us a few stories.I dont even care if they aint true.
wink.gif
(Dont make me ruin this place by invitin the Ikester over here.)
biggrin.gif
cool.gif

Oh, you wanna hear some lion stories? Well hell boys, just set me and Kev up on a bar stool and start buyin' us beers and you'll hear all the lion stories you want.

And the more beers you buy the better the stories will git, you can bank on that!!

One of my alltime favorites is the day my buddy was on a lion and his dogs got over the top down into another canyon. He headed up that canyon and came upon a hound guy parked in the road chasing his dogs around trying to load them.

The guy says, "Your dogs were standing here in the road barking so I was trying to gather them and load them." The treed lion was sitting out on hanging limb right over the top of the guys truck. As my buddy put it, "The damn lion was kicking snow down on his windshield."

So this hound guy is parked right underneath a lion, running around trying to catch these "barking dogs" while the lion was sitting 4 feet above his head watching the whole thing.

Still one of my favorite lion stories even though it didn't happen to me. I gotta million of 'em.
wink.gif

Gray Fox,

You want the truth?

YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!

When deer hunters and fly fishermen start telling the truth, I'll be right behind them.

Say, that reminds me of a story. Two years back this younger kid took up running with me. Decided he wanted to be a hound guy. At this point he didn't have any dogs but was game to hunt with me and it worked out cuz he was young and fired up... so he ramrodded me pretty hard.

We trailed a younger lion into a kill and it was a tracked up mess. There was a big tom track on this kill, so we got it sorted out and started them on this bigger lion. Up, up and away they went up this drainage.

We hiked and the snow was getting deep, and we finally heard them treed. I was exhausted and giving out. They were way up the canyon. It was only about the second lion he'd seen so he was chompin' at the bit. I handed him my video camera, wished him well and he headed up. I turned back for the 4 wheelers.

I picked him up an hour after dark, trudging down the canyon with my dogs and he was one whipped pup. It was the look of dejection.

I said, "Well?" He said, "A damn kitten!!" I pressed him but he wouldn't change his story. I figured it was a joke and it was a big 'ol narly tom, like the track indicated.

Next day I plugged in the video camera and fired it up. There before my eyes is the footage, right at dark, miles from the road, the exhaustion was evident in his voice as he talked into the camera... and there on the TV in front of me was the cutest little furball kitten you've ever seen. Little spots on his back and cute as a button.

I still laugh when I think of him on that death march til dark, the thought of a huge tom driving him on... only to get there and see a little furball purring back at him.

anybody got any good hound chasin stories??

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 08-24-2003 19:29: Message edited by: outdoorsgurl09 ]</font>

I don't know what you define as a good story but I sure had a good race the other day.

The dogs caught up to the bear and it would run and then stand and bay up and fight. We sat and listened to the whole thing for about 2 hours and man those dogs were fired up. That bear was just moving slow with them, sometimes stopped and bayed up and fighting...

It was quite the good time until they came down the canyon right past us... and we discovered it was a Moose.
eek.gif

Then we got to limber up our fingers pushing the buttons on the Tritronics!!!
tongue.gif

Damn moose!! Sounded just like a bear race.

I almost had a real good bear story to tell you today. The dogs rigged off the truck, started the track and ran to catch.

Had the "bear" bayed up hard a ways up the canyon. My buddy went charging up there as hard as he could just to get the tail end of them mopping up a skunk.

So I did catch a bear today. It was just a little black one with a white stripe down his back and man did he stink!! WHEW!!

Good news is they went right through a herd of deer on that skunk and never broke to trash. Thank heavens!!

Can't imagine what I'd do with trashy dogs.
wink.gif

SM,

It's not "if" my dogs decide to run deer... it's WHEN they will decide to run deer!!!

When and how far... no if's about it!!
wink.gif

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back