Hunting Burns?

bigd747

Looking for advice on hunting burns. Is 2018 too new to have regenerated enough to be hot-spots? Hot old is too old? Burns in 2002 - 2008 to lod to be a hotspot? Yes, I know, we need to look at them in person, but we are out of state and to choose an area and scout it would be helpful to perhaps have input from experienced burn hunters!

Thanks!

If there has been enough water, and you find feed, 2018 isnt too new. Really depends on the fire, its intensity and what it burned off. The burn isnt magical, just a good starting place. Put boots on the ground to confirm or cross of an area.

I read somewhere that animals will be back into a burn area within weeks. If i can find the source i'll post it.

I hunt the edges of any burn i can find, no matter how old.

Last edited:
I just spent a couple days in an area that gets prescribed burns regularly (kudos to the NM forest service for being proactive about this). They burned an area 2 weeks ago that I kicked elk out of yesterday and the grass coming up in the black charred spots was already 4-5” long. With the right conditions a burn that is only a year old can be a real producer. Like was stated before boots on the ground will be the ultimate decider but I would focus on the newer burns.

Nothing is too new. 2017 my buddy killed a bull in our spot in the black soot where there was still smoldering stumps.

scout it out... tracks, scat...? I've scouted old hunting grounds that burned... it was a few ears later when some sign started showing potential. I think 406Life fits my findings... The intensity of the fire is a factor.

BTW, Welcome to HT.

I recommend checking status of new burns and roads in the burn area w USFS. The unit I'm headed to this fall had a large burn in 2018 and as a result the entire burn area and all roads going through it are currently closed.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back