PEAX Equipment

Hunting access via dirt bike.

jvanhoy

Anyone ever done this? One of my main areas I elk hunt in CO has a bunch of single track trails in it. Every September I see guys recreational riding so I’m thinking why not try it. I’ve never used a 4 wheeler or anything hunting other than my boots before but these trails can get me back into some good areas I doubt anyone is walking to. The plan would be to ride to an area and then spike camp and hunt on foot from there. I have tons of experience on dirt bikes. Raced motorcross for all of my 20s and trail ride a lot with my son now. Also planning on using it for deer hunting in my home state of VA. There is a bunch of motorcycle only trails in the national forest here but has to be a tagged street legal bike. So yesterday I bought a dual sport Klx 300. I know a lot of people on here will hate this idea but the way I see it people are riding these trails all the time anyways so why not try it. Just wondering if anyone else has done this and what it will be like with a pack loaded down with elk meat.
The new elk mobile
E2DBD0C6-6360-4946-A32B-235628874545.jpeg

I did it a fair bit 10 years ago or so. Pre-kids. Was a good way to get into the hills quickly. I'd ride to work, and then leave right from there to get a quick evening hunt in and then ride back home in the dark. This was archery season so it was light longer. Was fun, and i had lots of opportunities that I wouldn't have had.

I did it a fair bit 10 years ago or so. Pre-kids. Was a good way to get into the hills quickly. I'd ride to work, and then leave right from there to get a quick evening hunt in and then ride back home in the dark. This was archery season so it was light longer. Was fun, and i had lots of opportunities that I wouldn't have had.
Awesome that’s great to hear I’m not the only one crazy enough to try this. Did you ever pack anything out on it? I’m probably going to buy a rack for the rear fender.

During my son's high school motocross days, he brought his dirt bike along antelope hunting. One morning he took off up the two track to climb up on a mesa. Several hours later he returned with an antelope buck draped over the bike in front of him. It couldn't have been too comfortable ... but he made it work.

one thing to consider for CO, though i've seen a guy doing this once before and i'm not sure he was legal with his rifle slung over his shoulder, is that the "rifle unloaded and cased" law applies to OHV.

i'm pretty sure you can find a way to fix that though. just some extra money.

1672251457248.png

one thing to consider for CO, though i've seen a guy doing this once before and i'm not sure he was legal with his rifle slung over his shoulder, is that the "rifle unloaded and cased" law applies to OHV.

View attachment 258078
Perfect opportunity for the Sig Cross/chassis folder type rifle! Just pack it in your bag...

Make sure and read the motor vehicle use maps and details. Where I've been tempted to try this a lot of the single track trails have designated use periods that tend to match up so they are closed when hunting seasons are open.

P.S. - I upgraded my clutch to a Rekluse on my current bike and I don't know why I haven't done that on every bike that needs to go off road. You may be a good enough rider to not need one, but it has made it SO MUCH easier for me especially on single track and hill climbs. I grew up a street rider and I just haven't ever been able to make the switch to constantly feathering the clutch to keep it from stalling. With the Rekluse clutch you don't have to worry about it. It was a game changer for me.A3ADE688-16FA-4B14-A3D3-1CA568A347BD.jpeg

Awesome that’s great to hear I’m not the only one crazy enough to try this. Did you ever pack anything out on it? I’m probably going to buy a rack for the rear fender.
The on elk I shot, we used the motorcycles to get to the top of a drainage and drop over the other side. The other side was non motorized. Once the elk was down, we packed camp and headed back to town. Went back in with peddle bikes and trailers and pulled the elk out that way.

View attachment 258078
I’ll be mostly using during archery season. I bought a soft case I’m going to strap to my backpack.

P.S. - I upgraded my clutch to a Rekluse on my current bike and I don't know why I haven't done that on every bike that needs to go off road. You may be a good enough rider to not need one, but it has made it SO MUCH easier for me especially on single track and hill climbs. I grew up a street rider and I just haven't ever been able to make the switch to constantly feathering the clutch to keep it from stalling. With the Rekluse clutch you don't have to worry about it. It was a game changer for me.View attachment 258085
Great looking bike. The trails in the unit I hunt are open in September. Normally every weekend there will be people riding. I’ll look into the clutch. I’ve talked to a few guys that love them in the woods. I’m already looking into mods to get more torque out of the Klx. It feels real sluggish after coming of mx bikes all my life.

i have spent hundeeds of hours riding single track motorcylce trails, bw200, xr200, tl250

killed numerous bucks and bulls that way, when its legal, usually pack tarp and sleep under a tree once i ride into an area20220301_100620.jpg

Roads is roads. If they are designated for foot only, bike is no different from a UniMog. And in the NF, if they are not designated on the CURRENT legal roadway map, they are off limits.

David
NM

there are many trails on forest service open to 2 wheeled motorized access, nothing to do with roads at all, many share foot ir horseback travel as well as 2 wheeled motorize, but exclude all 4 wheel acces, everyone do their own research, but its legal in numerous places in the west, perfectly legal,,,,,,

there are many trails on forest service open to 2 wheeled motorized access, nothing to do with roads at all, many share foot ir horseback travel as well as 2 wheeled motorize, but exclude all 4 wheel acces, everyone do their own research, but its legal in numerous places in the west, perfectly legal,,,,,,
Yep, must do your research:

An off-highway vehicle (OHV) is a motor vehicle capable of off-highway travel during winter or summer. OHV’s include all-terrain vehicles (ATV’s), four-wheelers, three- wheelers, dirt bikes, motorcycles, trail bikes, and snowmobiles.

Federal regulations require the operator of an OHV to follow these rules when on National Forest land:

Operate OHV’s only on areas, roads and trails designated as open to OHVs.

Operator and vehicle must meet all applicable state vehicle/operator requirements when on roads open to large vehicles.

Vehicle must be equipped with state approved muffler and/or speak arrester.

Recreational riding within developed campgrounds is prohibited. OHV’s may only be to enter and leave campgrounds.

Operating a vehicle in a manner which damages the land, wildlife, or vegetation is prohibited.

I'm no fan, had too many hunts wrecked by them. But the Feds make the rules.

David
NM

Yep, must do your research:

An off-highway vehicle (OHV) is a motor vehicle capable of off-highway travel during winter or summer. OHV’s include all-terrain vehicles (ATV’s), four-wheelers, three- wheelers, dirt bikes, motorcycles, trail bikes, and snowmobiles.

Federal regulations require the operator of an OHV to follow these rules when on National Forest land:

Operate OHV’s only on areas, roads and trails designated as open to OHVs.

Operator and vehicle must meet all applicable state vehicle/operator requirements when on roads open to large vehicles.

Vehicle must be equipped with state approved muffler and/or speak arrester.

Recreational riding within developed campgrounds is prohibited. OHV’s may only be to enter and leave campgrounds.

Operating a vehicle in a manner which damages the land, wildlife, or vegetation is prohibited.

I'm no fan, had too many hunts wrecked by them. But the Feds make the rules.

David
NM
I’m definitely no fan of anyone breaking the rules and having them where they aren’t allowed and honestly never had much interest in hunting near trails that are open to them but public land is for other uses and activities than just my hunting. I may try it and love it or may go back to hunting my normal places by foot. Excited to try something new though and combine 2 things I’ve always loved to do.

Did that for archery hunting a spot of mine for years. Loved it for getting back in there …..until I had any weight in my backpack while riding. Highly recommend against that. The guy I sold the bike to, put some racks on it and packed a bull out with it. The video his buddy took of it looked like about as big of a shit-show.

Did that for archery hunting a spot of mine for years. Loved it for getting back in there …..until I had any weight in my backpack while riding. Highly recommend against that. The guy I sold the bike to, put some racks on it and packed a bull out with it. The video his buddy took of it looked like about as big of a shit-show.
That’s definitely my biggest concern. I’ve been trying to find something somebody’s rigged up for it but not coming up with much.

Cory Jacobson uses them all the time. Not sure if he is on here but I bet he has some good ideas. I used to have a KLR 650 that I used as a hunting vehicle for everything up to whitetail. Never took it up in the mountains but I would think it would be doable.

Back