Caribou Gear

Hunter Safety Training Course

A207X2

I was reading that before you can hunt in Colorado you need to have passed a hunter safety training course if born after 1949 - or show your out of state training course. I live in FL and our “born after” date is 1965. I was born in 1955, so I don’t need the course here in FL. I was reading something about an exemption if you had prior military service and an honorable discharge, but it’s not clear to me whether or not I need to take a course in CO. I’m a vet with honorable discharge. Can anyone help to clarify the regulation? Thanks.

I don't know the answer, but some states now have courses that are completely online (like NY), so you could always do that and get a card for the future. Might be fun.

INHEA has an online course that you can take. I think it is $25..

You're correct, CO will require passing of a hunter ed course somewhere. They were entirely online during covid, but have appeared to have gone back to all-class or online-plus-inperson-conclusion in CO. It appears FL is similar. I agree with the above, you just need a card and number from any state so I recommend you find one with an entirely online course requirement.

I’m a hunters Ed instructor in Iowa. In Iowa anyone before 1972 is exempt. Every year someone is in our class because they are planning on hunting Colorado. I’ve never had anyone say they regretted taking the class. most are thankful and admit they learned something or realized they were neglecting some safety measures.

I know that if your over the age of fifty, you can just test out. But you are required to get at least a 90% on the test or you have to take the whole course.

I was reading that before you can hunt in Colorado you need to have passed a hunter safety training course if born after 1949 - or show your out of state training course. I live in FL and our “born after” date is 1965. I was born in 1955, so I don’t need the course here in FL. I was reading something about an exemption if you had prior military service and an honorable discharge, but it’s not clear to me whether or not I need to take a course in CO. I’m a vet with honorable discharge. Can anyone help to clarify the regulation? Thanks.
UPDATE: I’ve since learned that the NRA offers a free online course that is valid for each state. I’ve got an upcoming duck/goose hunt planned in January in Tennessee. I don’t need it there but decided to take it as a refresher course. I leisurely completed it over a 2-day period and scored a 92% overall. I learned some interesting things that were never covered when I took it as a kid over 50 years ago, specifically about tree-stand safety and bow hunting. So I’ve now got a certificate from the state of Tennessee.

UPDATE: I’ve since learned that the NRA offers a free online course that is valid for each state. I’ve got an upcoming duck/goose hunt planned in January in Tennessee. I don’t need it there but decided to take it as a refresher course. I leisurely completed it over a 2-day period and scored a 92% overall. I learned some interesting things that were never covered when I took it as a kid over 50 years ago, specifically about tree-stand safety and bow hunting. So I’ve now got a certificate from the state of Tennessee.
And now you don’t have to worry about it, you can hunt anywhere that requires hunters Ed because it’s reciprocated! Even most foreign countries!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rgreen
Back