Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Hunter Orange Question

In CO if your big game tag ends in R or M so xx-xxx-xxR you have to wear orange. That’s why there are September bear rifle and September bear archery tags that are concurrent.

A warden may not enforce having to wear blaze as an archer with a bear rifle tag but that’s not the regulation.

As I have soap box ranted on numerous occasions the bear regs are insane in CO.

In CO if your big game tag ends in R or M so xx-xxx-xxR you have to wear orange. That’s why there are September bear rifle and September bear archery tags that are concurrent.

A warden may not enforce having to wear blaze as an archer with a bear rifle tag but that’s not the regulation.

As I have soap box ranted on numerous occasions the bear regs are insane in CO.

This^^^^

If you have a rifle or muzzleloader tag then you have to wear orange, even if hunting with a bow on a rifle tag (you cannot use a bow on a muzzleloader tag). This is not as difficult as people make it out to be, just read the booklet...

This is exactly why I support the Rinella movement for a Federal mandate that every state adopt the law that whenever you have a firearm in your hand, you need to have an orange hat that can be seen from all directions. Done. No more complex law regarding it lol

Excludes Turkey and watefowl hunting of course

Plus one for this. Hats are easy. Vests are annoying.

This^^^^

If you have a rifle or muzzleloader tag then you have to wear orange, even if hunting with a bow on a rifle tag (you cannot use a bow on a muzzleloader tag). This is not as difficult as people make it out to be, just read the booklet...
It is difficult because it's completely idiotic that as an elk archer carrying along a bear tag (noted as any weapon) with zero intention of shooting the bear with a rifle (I don't have one on me or even at my camp) I by law have to have orange on my entire trip

It is difficult because it's completely idiotic that as an elk archer carrying along a bear tag (noted as any weapon) with zero intention of shooting the bear with a rifle (I don't have one on me or even at my camp) I by law have to have orange on my entire trip

They DO sell archery bear tags as well, then you don't have to wear orange, problem solved!

That is one example of a law that does not make sense. The orange is generally required to protect a hunter from being shot with a rifle. Soo, if Archery Elk season happens at the same time as Rifle or "Any Weapon" bear season you would think the mandate would be that ALL hunters during the any weapon bear season should have to wear Orange? Not that I'm promoting that be done but that would normally be the Logic applied for the reason to wear Orange/pink blaze. The rare bear hunter using a rifle during Archery Elk season would not likely be the one actually needing the orange since he's not likely to be shot with a bow by a archery hunter. But everyone bow hunting within rifle range of the rifle hunter would need need safety orange from a safety prospective. So to me in essence, If a state allows Rifle bear hunting during a archery season in the same unit everybody ought to be wearing blaze orange during that season but I don't think that's what's actually happening during Archery Elk season in Colorado and some other states as well.

So I'm joining my buddy on an archery elk hunt in CO in a couple weeks. He has the elk tag. I picked up a rifle bear tag.

#1 priority is elk hunting, but I'll have a rifle strapped to my back in case we spot a bear.

Assuming I need to be wearing orange if i have a rifle on my pack...? No way to say I'm not hunting I'd imagine.
With as many hunters as I see in Colorado I would wear orange regardless. I wear some high vis clothes even when I hike during hunting season.

Back