Hunter Killed: Arraignment in slaying Dec. 19

Ten Bears

Arraignment in slaying Dec. 19
Raleigh P. Turley faces felony manslaughter charge

By Justin Post

A 24-year-old Hayden man is charged with involuntary manslaughter in the Nov. 27 shooting death of a WestSide hunter.

Raleigh Paul Turley is accused of accidentally killing Casey M. Lawson, 30, while hunting off Madsen Road near Tensed.

He is scheduled for an arraignment at 9:30 a.m. Dec. 19 in First District Court.

Mr. Turley faces up to 10 years behind bars and a $10,000 fine, said Benewah County Prosecutor Doug Payne.

Mr. Turley fired a single shot at what he assumed was a “big buck” moving across a field sometime between 4:30 and 5 p.m., according to an affidavit.

Mr. Turley was unable to distinguish his target because it was too dark, Mr. Payne said.

Police estimate Mr. Turley was up to 150 yards from the victim, who was wearing a white t-shirt under his hunting coat.

Mr. Turley, who could not be reached for comment, told police he thought the white was coloring on a deer and that he heard someone yell after firing the shot.

“We are very sorry for the family and we are sorry for our family,” said the Mr. Turley’s father, Troy, also of Hayden.

Mr. Lawson had been hunting with his friend Josh Brandt on farmland his family leases.

The two split up at approximately 3 p.m. when Mr. Lawson climbed into his tree stand near the edge of a bluegrass field.

Mr. Brandt said he waited until dark to pick up his friend after giving him time to climb down from his tree stand.

He said he heard a gunshot and that a man he didn’t recognize was running toward his vehicle as he returned to the area.

Mr. Brandt said he and the alleged shooter rushed to the nearest home on Madsen Road and called 911 before returning to administer CPR until emergency crews arrived.

Mr. Lawson was pronounced dead at the scene.

Approximately one hunter is killed each year in Idaho, which is down significantly since the 1950s when 15 to 20 hunters were killed each season, said Ed Mitchell of Idaho Fish and Game.

Hunters’ education courses are responsible in part for decreasing fatalities in the field.

“Obviously not every time,” he said.

No hunter orange law in Idaho, and I really don't want one either. It was dark when the guy was shot from what I've heard, hunter orange aint gonna help there.

The stories contradict themselves - it was too dark to see, yet he saw the white of the t-shirt under the coat and thought it was the markings on a deer. If he saw the white, and it was 4:30 or 5 in the afternoon, then he should have been able to see blaze orange if it had been present.

It sounds like this was on private land, too. Personally, I feel more comfortable wearing orange on public land if there are other hunters around...but I don't like to wear it on private land or if I am the only hunter around. I guess I like the choice to wear it or not.

For that time of day it was probably too dark to be shooting anyways. The shooter just used some very bad judgement. Is there a possible trespass issue here as well?

It is 4:57 right now and plenty light enough to see hunter orange, white, black and most any other color. It is also plenty light enough to see and identify your target up to at least a 1/2 mile away as I look out the window from home. I can also see a cow moose with her calf about 500 yards out in the field.

You are also in Mountain time zone, Hayden, ID is in Pacific. The southern part of ID is mountain and the North is Pacific, it switches at the bridge across the Salmon river just north of Riggins. It is dark as crap here right now at 5:00.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dotun77
Back