PEAX Equipment

Hunter in NM

Hello all! I've been lurking in the forums for a while absorbing as nuch as I can. I'm an AOH and my wife has recently gotten into hunting too, which greatly helps our odds of getting drawn. We lucked out this year in the draw after a few lousy years. I got a December muzzle loader cow elk hunt and the wife had a successful pronghorn hunt in August and has back-to-back elk and deer hunts in a few weeks. Can't wait to get out in the woods again!
Welcome from NM! Also going to Unit 12 for elk. You've got lots of charisma cause the locals spurned my questions on local elk knowledge...., and I even bought them breakfast and pie!

What does AOH stand for?

Welcome from NM! Also going to Unit 12 for elk. You've got lots of charisma cause the locals spurned my questions on local elk knowledge...., and I even bought them breakfast and pie!

What does AOH stand for?
Good luck on the Unit 12 hunt! I've been looking at OnX and Google maps 3D until my eyes cross. It's going to be interesting but should be fun. I'm expecting to spend a lot of time behind the binoculars.
AOH is Adult Onset Hunter. I grew up fishing but never hunted until my 30s. I'm still pretty far behind the curve but I've gotten lucky on a few hunts. I've been listening to a lot of Elk Talk podcasts lately and I'm hoping some of their knowledge sticks for me.

What does AOH stand for?
Never buy Pie for them before you get solid intel.
Most of the locals in Catron guide,outfit or work for someone who is...

Last edited:
I’m hunting NM 36 for deer 11/6-11/10. You have any experience with this unit??
I hunted unit 36 a couple years ago with 2 buddies. We focused almost entirely on Nogal Canyon and the wilderness just to the west. My buddy was able to take a nice buck and there was another with him, but we never caught up to the second one. After that, about 8 inches of snow fell and the temps dropped to 1 F. We saw does, but no more bucks after the weather tanked. I'm looking forward to getting back out there this year. We'll be in there the week after you.

I hunted unit 36 a couple years ago with 2 buddies. We focused almost entirely on Nogal Canyon and the wilderness just to the west. My buddy was able to take a nice buck and there was another with him, but we never caught up to the second one. After that, about 8 inches of snow fell and the temps dropped to 1 F. We saw does, but no more bucks after the weather tanked. I'm looking forward to getting back out there this year. We'll be in there the week after you.
Thanks! Ill let you know what I see

Hello all! I've been lurking in the forums for a while absorbing as nuch as I can. I'm an AOH and my wife has recently gotten into hunting too, which greatly helps our odds of getting drawn. We lucked out this year in the draw after a few lousy years. I got a December muzzle loader cow elk hunt and the wife had a successful pronghorn hunt in August and has back-to-back elk and deer hunts in a few weeks. Can't wait to get out in the woods again!
How did the hunts turn out? Hope you had a phenomenal time!!

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back