Hunt the opener or no?

My oldest son and I are heading to idaho for mulies. We’re more than likely going to get an OTC license but will put in for a draw hunt first( controlled hunt).
I’ve only hunted the opener there the last 2 times I went and wondered if there are those that wait for later in the season to hunt and why. We can only hunt for one week( get there Friday and fly out the following Saturday). Lots of time on my hands so musing on decisions for the fall.

God Bless,

MM

My standard MO for new areas with limited time is to arrive a couple days before the opener to get to know the unit and have an animal spotted for an opening day assault. Day 3 has been my most successful day when I look back though.

So many things to take in here (weather, rifle, archery, economy and much more). Saddly we may find less hunters in the field this season because of the economy but for those who will be out it's an opportunity. If you are doing archery I would say opener for sure, if it's rifle it may be a different story?? If the weather is unseasonably warm I would lean late but you may also have a ton of luck early near water resources?? In the end if you do the work you should have opportunity. I personally think this season may find less hunters in the field because of the economic downturn.

I know there will be some economic consequences for recent events but hopefully things will shake out, at least partially, by this fall. The good news for me is the trip is already paid for, license and tags, car rental and flight vouchers. Just have to decide on which week. Like the idea of being the “first” people there. The drainage we are hiking into is 5 miles in so not expecting a lot of pressure but you never know. I like the idea of being a little closer to the rut but being as it ends before November I don’t think it will be close enough to make a difference. We will be hunting rifle and geared up to handle whatever weather we encounter as long as the snow doesn’t get too deep.

Assuming we're talking general rifle.

Opening week if you can scout pre season or have local knowledge. The last 7 days of the season if you cannot scout.

The drainage we are hiking into is 5 miles in so not expecting a lot of pressure but you never know. I like the idea of being a little closer to the rut but being as it ends before November I don’t think it will be close enough to make a difference. We will be hunting rifle and geared up to handle whatever weather we encounter as long as the snow doesn’t get too deep.

If you are gonna pack that far in I would surely go early. Just my .02 Be first mentality.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back