Hunt Departure Reservations

JoltnJoe

Anybody else get any lingering reservations or guilt about leaving for a long hunt? I’m usually gone about 2 weeks on my annual elk adventure. I have an amazing wife and beautiful little girl, and with September fast approaching it seems like I get this “dang I hate to leave them” feeling every year. I swear she used to be the emotional one when I was leaving and now she’s like “we’ll be fine, get out of here and have some fun.” 🤣

Yeppers. I kinda like to go out to the cabin for at least a month straight. I got a 3 month hitch in a couple years back.
Nice thing about going out for extended times is you kinda create your own clock. You're on your own time

Yeah, I do. They need a break from me too! lol

I have come home early several times because of it. But now the kids are old enough to bring along and hunt on their own, so win-win!!

I definitely feel that way with two daughters now, 5 and 1.5.

Last year I came home a day earlier than planned from my elk, because I felt like I had been gone to long and things were not working out. When I told them I came home from the hunt empty handed they were not excited to see me, I basically got verbally abused by my four year old daughter and my wife asked why I came home early without meat. My excuses and stories did not back them off.

Moral of the story is, the only way I’m coming home early now is with meat in the coolers, if not im

I had a tough time when my kids where little. They are now 8 and 11 and it's not nearly as bad. Ten days is the longest I'm gone and it's usually more like 7 or 8. Similar to @Dsnow9 I get more grief anymore for coming home empty handed that coming home too late. I was fortunate the 8 years of hunts I went on after I got married and had kids resulted in me getting an animal. The last couple of hunts haven't been as good for me and they let me know about it. It definitely gets better as they get older.

Back