HTHF 2003 +3: THE DELUGE!

dgibson

Well, a front moved through last night and dumped some rain. Now, everybody knows that deer will move right after a pressure system moves through, so I wanted to see what was up on the old huntin' grounds. I checked with the crack meteorology team at my place of employment...the rain would taper off to nothing but occasional sprinkles in the early AM, moving on to a cloudy but dry day.

Perfect!

9AM: I have moved to the ass-end of my hunting area, as far from the road as I can get. (I had heard some suspiciously close shots and went there to check for trespassers...they were just across the tracks.) It had sprinkled a little off and on just like the weather guy said: weatherman, we solute you! It got a little dark and started sprinkling again. No biggie!

9:15: The rain picks up a little. Maybe I'd better start heading back toward the truck, just in case...the weatherman might have missed it a little. After all, my hunting grounds were a few miles outside of his viewing area. I begin a slow stalk back up the logging road, watching for whitetails.

9:30: Flash-BANG!Either the Navy Seals have just invaded Christian County or that was a lightning strike, and a close one!
eek.gif
The rain starts pouring down seconds later. Forgetting all thoughts of deer, I start walking in earnest back toward the truck.

9:45: It's pouring down rain as I double-time it back up the road. I'm slogging through standing water where only an hour or so ago there was nothing but a bone-dry depression.

9:50: As another peal of thunder is heard, I start composing this post in my head (hey, a guy's got priorities!
biggrin.gif
).

10:00: I make it back to the truck, soaked to the bone and dripping like a kid just out of the tub. Luckily I parked on the street side of any nasty mud obstacles, so it was relatively smooth driving back to the pavement.

10:15: I get back to the pavement, where I meet the guy who owns the property right next to the gate. I wave to him in a friendly manner, but he just glares and gooses his engine.
mad.gif
Being a little grumpy
rolleyes.gif
, I consider getting out and beating some manners into his insolent head, but just then another bolt of lightning strikes not far away and I decide to take my blessings and run for home.
fight.gif

As I type this it's 12:05PM and it's pouring down rain outside, complete with thunder and stiff winds...what happened to light sprinkles and clearing up?
mad.gif
footinmouth.gif

Such is life in the fast lane. There's always tomorrow!
biggrin.gif

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back