HT contractors and construction guys, I need garage advice!

Sasquatchewan

Looking for advice to fix water infiltration problem with my garage. The concrete slab my garage was built on is almost level to the ground and I am getting some serious water infiltration through the flower bed and on both sides along the walk way. It's obviously clear that this has been an issue for a while and that the previous owners tried to fix it with caulking and stucko.

My wife wants to raise the current flower bed without causing any further water damage to the garage and I'm looking for a more permanent solution along the walk way, other than redoing the caulking every year.

20230730_084239.jpg20230730_084215.jpg

20230730_084258.jpg

Does the plaster continue down below grade? If it does, it needs to be cut out and a weep screed installed at the bottom, to have a break between the plaster/ stucco and ground water (the stucco sucks the water up and it gets inside). This might be tricky depending on how close your slab is to exterior grade.

At least the is causing the same issue at my house which I am putting off fixing because it’s a decent sized project to tackle.

French tile to a dry sump for the ground water, pull the caulking out and put in weeps for moisture behind the stucco, make sure gutters drain far away from the concrete (into the dry sump) and make sure the concrete slopes away from the building - 2% grade or more is best.

French tile to a dry sump for the ground water, pull the caulking out and put in weeps for moisture behind the stucco, make sure gutters drain far away from the concrete (into the dry sump) and make sure the concrete slopes away from the building - 2% grade or more is best.
That's right. Unless you've got fall frther out then I'd just daylight a tile as long as he's got .5% of pitch. Even flat at that point would probably work if need be.

Agreed, it'll cost ya a bit but it'll take care of the problem. Also some insurances will help out with discounts for preventive measure like this.

Caulking is probably only making the problem worse, it is not a good solution (not even a good bandaid) for the situation you have. The best way to fix your issue is to create drainage away from the building, like a swale or french drain, and do not build raised beds against a building.

Caulking is probably only making the problem worse, it is not a good solution (not even a good bandaid) for the situation you have. The best way to fix your issue is to create drainage away from the building, like a swale or french drain, and do not build raised beds against a building.
Pretty much wasting time caulking the outside. mtmuley

Pretty much wasting time caulking the outside. mtmuley
I agree, there are also some good waterproofing membranes you could add behind the flower bed to aid you with the problem but the earlier stated solution is probably the best.

Thanks guys! We will definitely put a french drain in.

As for the existing concrete walk way, if it isn't sloped enough, am I screwed and there is no other way to fix it than ripping it out and puting in a new one with proper slope away from the garage?

Thanks guys! We will definitely put a french drain in.

As for the existing concrete walk way, if it isn't sloped enough, am I screwed and there is no other way to fix it than ripping it out and puting in a new one with proper slope away from the garage?
It's going to be tough. Looks like the water gets in under the bottom plate of the wall framing. Hard to tell, but wonder if it was flashed at all. mtmuley

It blows my mind the places people build houses or buildings. My garage was no different I had to get creative with a swail to get the water from the driveway to drain. We just did a job for a guy on 40 acres...where does he pick the spot right in a pocket on the hillside where it bleeds water. We explained to him that it's wet there that's why that 1/4 are of the beans isn't farmed "nope that's where I want it." He spent an extra $100,000 on a retaining wall and we hauled in an extra 3,500 ton of 3" to undercut the foundation with. Could have moved it uphill 125 feet and avoided all of that. More money than brains, I'd like to just at least have one or the other lol.

Sorry but the slab poured too low or flush with grade is going to be a constant problem ,no matter what when it rains or snows there.
French drains might slow it some. But wicking will be constant.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back