How’s this for a CO Shiras.... is he a record

lifesupport4u

Do you think this guy is a B&C Shiras Moose? I haven’t seen one this big. Wish I had some other views and a frontal picture. He had two cows with him and I heard him raking and didn’t want to get any closer.

Attachments

• AF8ADD28-03A0-4FBF-8BA6-87DA2326C60F.jpeg
    AF8ADD28-03A0-4FBF-8BA6-87DA2326C60F.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 176
  • 2678B55B-5EDE-40B1-B9CC-B2495BFAB660.png
    2678B55B-5EDE-40B1-B9CC-B2495BFAB660.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 180
He's a great bull. I can't see his fronts, which are crucial, and long points are generally less desirable as it means less palmation (such as on his right side) but he looks like a shooter regardless.

That one looks to have everything you would want, but as said previously, you need split fronts to maximize the score if that is what your goal is.
Stud bull for sure!

I am not a veteran moose hunter or a B&C official, but this guy from West Virginia would love to harvest such a BEAST of a Shiras moose if I was ever lucky to draw a moose tag before I get 60 years old+ (not a knock on age, just how long it could take from me being 36 right now).

He's a great bull. Wouldn't score well in the B&C system, but hard to pass up.

He's a great bull. I can't see his fronts, which are crucial, and long points are generally less desirable as it means less palmation (such as on his right side) but he looks like a shooter regardless.

Interesting. I don’t know much about scoring moose. However, his right was pretty equal to his left. 3rd pic I put up shows his passenger side. I would love to see some photos of CO B&C Shiras. Didn’t think they got this big... but I have never been 30 yards from one before either.

Without split fronts your length measurement will be destroyed. This really could be the biggest detriment to a lot of bulls scores. And the skinny part of the paddle will hurt width measurement. It only takes one skinny portion of palmation to drop the score.

The key things to look for are the inside spread being wider than the ears (ears can't reach horns) as this will get you in the 40"+ range, double or triple fronts, and lots of short points. Those combined should get you into the B&C caliber of bull.

Here's my wife's that grosses ~159 and officially nets ~149. I recommend looking at the B&C scoring sheet while comparing against the pic and you'll start to see how the totals add up and why things like split fronts are so crucial.

20150721_200457.jpg
20150925_083321.jpg

But like I said earlier... He's a shooter! Regardless of how the arbitrary scoring system views him.

Grizzly- thanks for the info. That is a great bull. I don’t get too into scoring... but definitely interesting how it works. Do you have an approximate age of the bull you posted and a guess on the one I saw? Seems like B&C, Pope and Young and Safari need to all get together and agree on one method.

I don’t have a moose license so it was just neat to see him so close. He stomped a few times and it was time for us to back up and leave him with his cows.

Back