Howling to locate

1. Do you howl to locate coyotes?
2. Which one do you use?
3. Do you bark?

Last night I went to locate a few coyotes. I had no coyote howl back. I had one bark at a howl. When I barked back no more response.

I was in areas that have produced in the past 6 months.

I bark... grufffff

but I don't bite
biggrin.gif

That one bark response and then nothing has always meant to me that I've been made. But since I don't hunt in your area, it's hard to tell.

That one bark and then nothing has always been "Hey boys, she's over here, let's scram!"
soapbox.gif

It was dark, so I don't think that they saw me. I was at the edge of a large potatoe field. The bark came from the opposite side of the field. The wind was blowing about 5 mph into my face.

Maybe it was a get back fat boy before I eat you. Hey mom have you ever seen a pair of drumsticks so big on a ruffeled grouse that can bark like one of us. Mom says stupid why did you bark, I hear that they taste like chicken.

I howl at night to get an idea how mant there are and where at the time. I just go with long drawn out howls, no barks. It works if they're in the mood to answer. Around here, they used to be more opt to answer on a dark night, overcast or no moon. The bark may have been an alert call. Its happened to me before.

Brad

I usually howl but not to locate them. I use the howl to get their attention. It seems to me that a howl carries farther than a call and it will "wake them up" They will come in without howling back.

The coyotes around here don't howl back very much. It might have something to do with the wolves. Other parts of the state and into Montana they will howl back sometimes.

Brad h, that was my intention. I was curious to see if the coyotes in my area would respond to a locate howl.

If it appears to work I will keep it in my tricky bag.

Like everyone else I am trying new things and seeing what works for me.

Maineiac,
I used to have a good system here. I'd do my stretch of oilfield road, stop every few miles and howl. It was a lot of fun. Sometimes if I could get one group to start up, theyd light up all around. Also I was really bad at using a howler at that time. I would'nt let anyone come with just because of that.
biggrin.gif

This is all in passed tense because they're not vocally responding around here anymore for whatever reason. :confused
frown.gif
pondering away)
What I do know is that it works, and its something you don't have to be good at to get results. Stick with it, and good luck.

Brad

I do howl to locate sometimes. Most everything here is private and is on sections. I do on occasion slip around in the evening and howl to see where the groups are at. It kinda gives me and idea of where they are at. I howl before each set normally. I have moved closer to a group that responded if I had the cover to do so. If my area that is not the norm.

later pup

MTO you said you barked back, I would have howled again and not barked. many times that bark is a warning and not just talk.

sly

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back