howa or remington

Just out of curiosity which savage rifles are you all referring to? Another gun that I really liked this weekend was the winchester model 70 extreme weather that is one nice gun but is a little steep right under a $1000 but I have heard a lot of positive things about it
Any of the 110 or 111 models should be good, stay away from the chepo axis model or whatever it is. The savage lightweight looks nice but I dont know how the accuracy will be with the thin barrel. They have a great website that shows the advantages of how there rifles are built. I own a 111 fcns with the accustock that shoots great. The non accustock ones shoot great also Im not good enough shot to see a differance.

I always thought of savages as cheap junk and even called them "salvages" until I bought one after hearing everyone talk about how good they shoot im impressed.Again the barrels in them also clean up alot nicer than most factory guns.

Does anyone have any experience with the new T/C bolt rifles (Made in the US). I have heard good things about them. My father-in-law just bought a Venture in .270 Win, but I have been to range with him yet to shoot it.

174in---I would have to heartily disagree with your statement in regards to the 700 Walker trigger. Walker told them shortly after they started producing them decades ago that the mechanism needed to be redone because of instances where the gun could fire without touching the trigger and it had nothing to do with owners trying to tweak triggers. There are thousands of people on websites that have had the rifles go off when nothing had been done to them and it also wasn't caused by poor cleaning, although that can make the situation worse. When a guy that designs the main part of a firearm tells you it needs to be tweaked for safety factors and Remington took decades to finally do it because of money savings while there were thousands of rifles going off and at least 20 people dying when they happened to be pointed in the wrong direction is unconscionable IMHO. They finally changed the Walker trigger out for a new design a few years ago like he wanted done decades ago in the 700 and then they turned right around and are putting it in their cheap 770 series just to save money and compete with companies like Savage in the low priced end products they sell. If I had any 700 in the house that has that old trigger in it, I would have a smith change it out for a Timney, Jewell, etc. because you just never know when that defect that is well documented will happen no matter how well you like it and how good it's been to you. I'd take a Savage or Howa over the 700 just because of what Remington didn't do for a couple bucks a gun to lessen chances of bad things happening with their product. Randy chose a damn good gun company for a sponsor IMHO!!! They wouldn't be making a rifle that Weatherby put it's name on if they weren't

Last edited:
1000's going off and well documented? Can you point me to this documentation?

I'd buy a Salvage before I bought a Japanese rifle! Thats a fact. Keep jobs in America

Bambistew:
I believe the 11-87 and 887 Remingtons are made in the US. I'm not sure about the 770, it sort of reeks of Turkey but they are probably assembled in the US.

Nothing wrong with the new Savages either and I'm for American jobs but I really like my Tikka.

174in---I would have to heartily disagree with your statement in regards to the 700 Walker trigger. Walker told them shortly after they started producing them decades ago that the mechanism needed to be redone because of instances where the gun could fire without touching the trigger and it had nothing to do with owners trying to tweak triggers. There are thousands of people on websites that have had the rifles go off when nothing had been done to them and it also wasn't caused by poor cleaning, although that can make the situation worse. When a guy that designs the main part of a firearm tells you it needs to be tweaked for safety factors and Remington took decades to finally do it because of money savings while there were thousands of rifles going off and at least 20 people dying when they happened to be pointed in the wrong direction is unconscionable IMHO. They finally changed the Walker trigger out for a new design a few years ago like he wanted done decades ago in the 700 and then they turned right around and are putting it in their cheap 770 series just to save money and compete with companies like Savage in the low priced end products they sell. If I had any 700 in the house that has that old trigger in it, I would have a smith change it out for a Timney, Jewell, etc. because you just never know when that defect that is well documented will happen no matter how well you like it and how good it's been to you. I'd take a Savage or Howa over the 700 just because of what Remington didn't do for a couple bucks a gun to lessen chances of bad things happening with their product. Randy chose a damn good gun company for a sponsor IMHO!!! They wouldn't be making a rifle that Weatherby put it's name on if they weren't

Did not know that thanks for the info.I myself always had my 700 triggers changed out to shilens when I bought them.My custom 700 will have a jewel in it I hope its worth the money.Also going with an oversized recoil lug and much more.

I walked past the remingtons last year and bought a savage, really wasnt happy with it for several months, then took the new Leupold VX-1 off and put a cheap bushnell 3x9 on it and am alot more impressed,, VX-1 is back from repairs but still in closet

i will say this,my wifes savage has neaver let her down,it will put a bullet wear she aims it every time,if she misses it is not because of the rifle,just dont use a cheap scope like the ones that come with there package rifles,allway buy a better scope,her bushnell elite is a good scope,and stays wear you set it,even in harsh conditions it does not fog,and believe me when i tell you oregon gets alot of rain during deer and elk season.:hump:

Howa for sure. My Weatherby Vanguard Series 2 is basically a Howa 1500 action. Best shooting gun I have ever owned. Period.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrGeauxNewMexico
Back