Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

How to train my labs to duck hunt

CarsonSmithElkHunter

Hello everyone, I have a lab that is 5 years old, and one that is 2 years old. I was wondering how you train your dogs to retrieve ducks, and geese, etc. I would love to be able to duck hunt with my dogs, but do you think that they are too old to be trained?

Where did you obtain your labs? Were they from a breeder of hunting dogs, or from hunting bloodlines? Even if they're not, labs have an incredible retrieving instinct. If they like to fetch things you throw you have a great starting point. There are several books you can use to hone this instinct and make it useful for you, the hunter. A 5-year-old dog may be very teachable. The #1 thing is teaching them to sit still until you tell them to go on the retrieve. A dog who runs after birds when he sees them, or at the sound of the gun going off, can be worse than not having a dog hunt for you at all.

@ElkFever2 Yes, they came from my Uncle, and the mother and father are both way good duck hunters. I have hunted with the father, and he was great. I know that the 5 year old dog is gunshy, how would I take care of that?

@ElkFever2 I know that the 5 year old dog is gunshy, how would I take care of that?
Start banging cupboards and such while they are eating. Start off quiet and build from there. At some point you can get a kid's cap gun. I cut open shot shells and used just the primers with my pup. Started when she was a couple hundred yards away when she was intent on something and her tail was wagging.

Get a couple books and videos. Water Dog is the standard reference, many other good ones though too, some good stuff on youtube too. Also as others said find a local club. I never had a dog until my first duck dog 11 years ago and I did all his training I learned from all the above mentioned. He was a great dog, now I'm onto my second and he is shaping up well now that he approaches his first birthday. Gun training and holding birds in their mouth are probably the hardest to train, for me anyway, especially since that stuff is hard to train in the yard. It takes a lot of consistent training and lots of reps hunting to have a good hunter. I am definately a novice trainer compared to many on here.

Labs are probably the easiest breed to train, assuming your labs fetch a tennis ball or toy, it is fairly easy to turn them into duck dogs.
But if you can join a retriever club or find a mentor, that would help more than any book or DVD.

Newbies often make mistakes that can ruin a developing dog.
Mistakes such as:
1) Repeating commands...teaching the lab that you are "background noise"
2) Creating a gun shy dog....very difficult to cure this human-made problem
3) Training in cold water...dog learns to hate water instead of enjoying it.
4) Creating a hard-mouth dog...a lifetime of every duck routinely crunched by fido
5) Creating a noisy dog...whining and/or barking as the ducks are circling overhead.
6) Creating a breaking dog...unsafe and out of control.
7) Getting mad as a trainer and falsely interpreting canine confusion as disobedience...leading to a confused retriever.

A noisy, breaking, hard-mouth, disobedient dog is a pain in the but to hunt with.
A well-trained, quiet, steady retriever makes duck hunting a pleasure.

Ive had some great gun dog labs yup and I did say great well in my own opinion my ol boy is laying at my feet as I type this 11 now and to old to hunt but hes my boy
1st start making noises when they eat like alaska said and have a friend shoot in the air when hes about 100 yrds away 20 gauge will work while your playing ball with your dog if the dog ignores the shoot have him get 10 yrds closer n do it again slowly moving closre so the dog doesnt think about the shot
this is a good 1st step

I set a handful of decoys in the water. Then throw the dummy in between the decoys and then throw it past them. Point is to get the pup to identify the correct "bird" to retrieve! Don't over think it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just remember that Labs love to feel like they have a job to do. They love trying to impress the master and get praise. Many good recommendations already, I will just add that a .22 cal blank bumper launcher for long water retrieves will get them used to gun shots and marking falling birds. Plus a great way to work them in hot weather.

Just remember that Labs love to feel like they have a job to do. They love trying to impress the master and get praise. Many good recommendations already, I will just add that a .22 cal blank bumper launcher for long water retrieves will get them used to gun shots and marking falling birds. Plus a great way to work them in hot weather.
After the dog has been gradually introduced to gun fire, I take a dummy launcher and attach it to an old rifle stock with 2 radiator clamps.
I start behind the lab so I can see that he is absolutely steady (no creeping!) and focus on that mark!

bumper launcher rifle stock (link)

@ElkFever2 Yes, they came from my Uncle, and the mother and father are both way good duck hunters. I have hunted with the father, and he was great. I know that the 5 year old dog is gunshy, how would I take care of that?

With any gun dog, I start them by finding their absolute favorite toy and treat and taking them to a trap range. I sit in the cab - toss the toy around the front seat, toss a few treats, generally get the dog all worked up and excited. Then we get out of the truck and do the same in the parking lot. And very gradually, we migrate towards the firing line some 50 or even 100 yds away. Keep playing and go backwards if the dog looks worried. Only go forward when the dog is wound up and excited and focusing on you.

I've never actually had a gun shy dog doing this, but I think it would work as well as anything and definitely is a good way to introduced dogs to guns. No gun needs to be, nor should be in your hands at the time. Your attention needs to be on the dog, and the dog's attention on you at all times.

Good luck!

@ElkFever2 @JLS
Do I bother you guys, that I have lots of questions?

They're just ribbing you. I did look you up tho and chuckled a bit at the amount of questions in such short time.

His training a Labrador puppy video may help. Start back with the basics.

After the basics I followed Lardy TRT program.

I also like a jet sled for training steadiness...it is easy to teach the lab that is "their place" at home....
dog sits in the jet sled while we are eating, while I'm splitting firewood, etc.

At the hunt the jet sled is a dry location for the dog (I turn it over every few retrieves to drain),
and it is also handy for picking up decoys, hauling gear etc.
Pintails.jpg
I usually have my lab sit about 50 yards behind me in the willows, so he can mark all the birds better,
and I think it helps prevent hearing loss due to shotgun muzzle blasts.

@ElkFever2 @JLS
Do I bother you guys, that I have lots of questions?

You keep asking lots and lots of questions brother! Great advice these guys are giving. Take things slow, enjoy yourself, don't worry about your own or others expectations, then the dogs will enjoy themselves, and you can be happy with however it turns out. Maybe they turn in to duck dogs, maybe you learn a lot of great stuff and end up with a pup to train from the get go. Either way, great on you to want to work with them. Best of luck to ya!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back