PEAX Equipment

How to kill a WY bull

barefooter19

I drew a rifle tag for Woming elk in the Big Horns starting oct.15.Will the rut still be going ? are cow calls or bugles still efective at that time of year or should I concintrate on finding bulls by themselves ?

I have hunted elk in NM alot but it has always been in sept. and during archery season so rifle hunting this time of year is going to be new to me. Looking for any info for that time of year.

I know it might be cold and there might be snow I will be prepaired for what ever mother throws at me. Looking for some solid advise on how to go about hunting elk this time of year in North Central WY.

The main rut will be over before the rifle season starts as it's normally on during the month of September there and quiets down pretty much by the end of the first week of October. The better bulls will be off by themselves and the cows will probably only have spikes and maybe a raghorn or two around them by then. It's doubtful that a bugle will be of any use, but a cow call will come in handy to stop any animals you come across. Be prepared for cold temperatures at the elevations you'll be hunting and some snow (4x4 with two sets of chains recommended), although there usually isn't enough to start the bulls down out of the high country to the lower winter range areas during the season. The Big Horns are a special place that I've been lucky to hunt most years since 1994 and I can guarantee you will enjoy the fantastic scenery even if you don't fill your tag.

Last edited:
Thanks Top Gun, this will be new to me using a rifle and I am trying to gather as much info on hunting elk this time of year in WY. Im thinking if I find some good places to glass and sit tight for a few hours at a time and glass might not be a bad idea.

I dont know that you got the best advice there on the bugling activity.

The last 11 years I've hunted Wyoming, the bulls are usually bugling pretty well on Oct. 15. This last season, I'd say the bugling activity was better the 20th of October, 5 days into the hunting season than it was the 15th. I heard decent amounts of bugling every day.

Year before last I killed a decent 6 point on the second day...he bugled a lot the first day, again opening night. I edged in on him the second morning and capped him right at daylight...general area.

I think you'll have some bugling activity the first few days at least if you're hunting the right spots.

I'd definately have a cow call at all times...

I would think that you will hear elk if they are in there. I know that the last few years they are bugling on the opener here as well. As soon as a few shots are heard and fired all bets are off. They usually clam up.

Did you draw for the east slope or west slope?

I personally haven't heard alot of bugling in the Bighorns once rifle season starts. Cow calling will probably still bring them in for a look. There are going to be alot of guys driving around and blowing on bugles, so going quiet might not be a bad tactic.

The best advice I could give you is get in as good of shape as possible, because if you look at where you need to go in the bighorns to get away from a road it is steep.

Buzz---That's interesting in regards to what you mentioned on bugling because where we hunt every year on the west side of the BigHorns there is very lttle, if any, bugling by the time our deer season opens on 10/15. Once in a while we'll hear a bugle right before daylight, but that's about it. I would second the previous comment about getting in shape to go into the tough areas away from roads and you may get a bull to either answer a cow call or more than likely come in silently.

I carry a cow call when I am mule deer hunting and give a cow call periodically if I am still hunting or moving through thick stuff, and I have had some raghorns and spikes come into take a look while hunting the Bighorns.

I agree with Buzz. I took my best bull to date last year on the 15th and he was bugling to beat the band. I did not try calling back but rather used this as a way to get in close for the shot. I could hear him as I was hiking in and then got into position until it got light enough to see. This is consistant with what I have seen over the last 8 years.

Not sure I would use a bugle to try to call in a bull but rather let them call and use it to locate them. Bring the cow call to stop them and get their attention.

I hunt western wyo but would assume similar results in the BH. Good luck to you and have fun.

Last year in the Medicine Bows I heard and saw bulls bugling and fighting the 2nd week of October, but in several years in the Bighorns I haven't heard more than 1 or 2 bugles during rifle season. I am not sure if this has to do with preassure, increased number of roads (it is pretty challenging to get more than a mile from a road, unless you can go into the wilderness), or something else. Just haven't heard much bugling. If I were going to elk hunt the Bighorns I would go with a bow.

MH---It appears that we are on the same page as far as the bugling in the BHs and I definitely agree that the real fun time if you want to hunt bugling bulls is with a bow the middle to latter half of September there. At least that's the way it is in our area out there very year. The Warden/Biologist I know quite well that covers quite a bit of the west slope has told me that in his travels in a normal year he thinks the bulls get cranked up the first part of September up high and it seems to be a week to ten days later as you come down lower.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info guys. I have a tag for the eastern slope. I put in for rifle because I didn't think I had enough points for an archery tag and really wanted to elk hunt this year. I don't think any thing can compare to hunting rut crazed bulls in the rut but I'm getting excited about this rifle hunt. I appreciate it !

barefooter19---What unit did you draw? If you aren't aware of it, except for unit 38 on the east slope, you can buy a $30 archery permit and hunt the rut with your bow during September on your rifle tag. The dates for unit 34 should be 9/1-9/30 and for units 35-37 the dates should be 9/15-9/30 based on previous years. Unless you drew a rifle only tag for unit 38, you can buy the $30 permit and hunt with your bow in the unit you drew and if you don't tag one then you can even go back and try with your rifle during the gun season!

Last edited:
I cant speak for wyoming elk but here in my montana areas I hunt there has been good bugling up till the middle of October and even a few times in November during the rifle season I have heard and saw the bull. So more than likely its not as much as the rut but there is still some bugles till all the "hunters" that drive around the logging roads come out.

Cow calls are still a good tool to use during the later seasons as I have called in a bull with just a cow call on the second day of rifle season one year. Other times you can get an elk to stop walking by using the call so you have a standing still shot.

This time of year I have found out you will not find mature bulls still hanging with tons of cows so you may want to find a single set of tracks and follow them.

Good luck

Top Gun thats the unit I drew no early bow hunting on my type 1 rifle tag . I'll have alot of time, probably the whole season if I need it (3 weeks). That should give me enough time for something exciting to happen just never gun hunted elk before. Im just greatful I drew a tag !

Thanks for all the info on elk in the BH'S. I drew a type 1 rifle tag for area 34. We will archery hunt it with crossbows. If anyone wants to give advice, help is good.This will be our first time in the Big Horns hunting.If anyone knows of any landowners who take a trespass fee shoot me some names. Thanks

CHARMON---You shouldn't need to pay any trespass fees to hunt private land in 34. There's a lot of NF in the northwest part of the unit and lots of BLM all the way down through the middle of the unit all the way south to the southern boundary. You should have a great time bow hunting that unit compared to fighting the crowds during the later rifle season. Good luck!

Topgun 30-06- Thanks for the info. I got the land owner chip from G&F for my GPS. Also got a real good TOPO from My TOPO.com out of billings.I am looking at hunting off of Hazelton Rd to south of Hazelton Pyramd. I am also looking at public area between Hazelton Rd & Billy Crk Rd. Are you from that area? I am non- res from Oregon & my Brother is from Jersey.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htcooke
Back