How to hunt if you can't stomach gutting

Status
Not open for further replies.
SIAP,TLDR...rhymes with this
View attachment 248151
LMAO!!! This product provided great laughs for the old man and I. So much to the point he got me the BUTT OUT 2 for Xmas one year. So the following year I threw it my pack. And as had been the customary comment when it was time to gut the critter he says, "Ya know, if you had a butt out this would be a lot easier. " Then we proceeded to lay on the ground laughing when I produced it from my pocket The kids thought we we fighting when they come down to where we were at as we we lay on the ground laughing.

I realize we've given up on the OP, but I've found that if I do the gutless with the goal of maximizing meat recovery (not just 4 quarters and backstraps, but flanks, inner loin, ribs, etc.) I end up spending about as much time around the guts as just straight up gutting an animal. Maybe I'm doing it wrong lol.

I've never gut shot a deer but I'd imagine gutless would be better in that situation just to keep the mess mostly confined to the abdominal cavity (i did liver shoot a deer once, did gutless on him). Idk, what do yall think?

Gut shot! I’m not opening that up unless my knife slips. Everything else I’m gutting it out. Two reasons. First…I want to see what my broadhead or bullet did to the animals pumping station and airbags. Second- I’m eating some of that stuff and I want it out! I do usually spend as much time trying to do gutless on deer…but I’m mostly doing it for practice. I have elk hunting dreams.

Last edited:
Gut shot! I’m not opening that up unless my knife slips. Everything else I’m gutting it out. Two reasons. A…I want to see what my broadhead or bullet did to the animals pumping station and airbags. Second- I’m eating some of that stuff and I want it out! I do usually spend as much time trying to do gutless on deer…but I’m mostly doing it for practice. I have elk hunting dreams.

I grew up along with everyone else here dragging deer. It’s just whatever did. Drag them, hang them in the shop for a day or 2 to cool, then cut them up. Now, if I can’t see the pickup, I’m quartering them and packing then out. Way easier on the back, you gotta do it anyway. Plus by the time I get home, after that’s done I just clean em up, cut em, and package them. IMO there’s 2 ways to make deer meat the best. 1. Cut it up and package it immediately. 2. Let it hang so long you think it’s rotten. An old guy here used to just hang them and cut pieces off as he needed. Smelled like death, but man it was good.

I grew up along with everyone else here dragging deer. It’s just whatever did. Drag them, hang them in the shop for a day or 2 to cool, then cut them up. Now, if I can’t see the pickup, I’m quartering them and packing then out. Way easier on the back, you gotta do it anyway. Plus by the time I get home, after that’s done I just clean em up, cut em, and package them. IMO there’s 2 ways to make deer meat the best. 1. Cut it up and package it immediately. 2. Let it hang so long you think it’s rotten. An old guy here used to just hang them and cut pieces off as he needed. Smelled like death, but man it was good.
I have a refrigerator I use to hang mine in. Sometimes a week…sometimes longer. If the temps are cold enough I’ll just let them hang behind my shed in the shade. Then I process it all myself making burgers, or tenderized steak(I have a meat tenderizer I run it through) sausage, jerky etc. Deer meat doesn’t last long around here. With myself, wife and daughter I usually put eight or so deer in the freezer.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back