Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

How to DIY train a goldendoodle. I got a free pup

Skynard

Got a hold of a free f2 or f1b (not sure) golden doodle pup 8weeks old.
I know these things can get expensive so I thought it was a good deal. I know they come from two breeds that are used for hunting, especially the retriever. What is your input on the breed? I'm not a bird hunter but recently moved to NE Louisiana, like to get into duck hunting, dove, other bird hunting. what do the doodles do best? How do I start training?

I am not impressed with them but can't say it hasn't been an owner issue in most cases I've observed. The dogs seem to have a colorless personality and kinda in their own world. I have yet to see one in the field hunting ... and I do a lot of bird hunting. Must be a reason for that. Golden doodles are not a terribly high priced breed, relativy speaking. As far as I know they're still not a registered breed. Could be wrong on that though.

I know these things can get expensive so I thought it was a good deal. I know they come from two breeds that are used for hunting, especially the retriever. What is your input on the breed? I'm not a bird hunter but recently moved to NE Louisiana, like to get into duck hunting, dove, other bird hunting. what do the doodles do best? How do I start training?

Not a hunting dog per say and will really depend on the dog, in terms of whether or not you’ll be able to train it to hunt birds. If the dog has moderate to high energy than there’s no reason you shouldn’t be able to teach it
To pick up birds for you.

Don’t rush into training “hunting skills”. Focus on obedience and building drive to Retrieve at first. On another note, when it comes to
Introducing a dog like that to guns, take it Very slow.

I am not impressed with them but can't say it hasn't been an owner issue in most cases I've observed. The dogs seem to have a colorless personality and kinda in their own world. I have yet to see one in the field hunting ... and I do a lot of bird hunting. Must be a reason for that. Golden doodles are not a terribly high priced breed, relativy speaking. As far as I know they're still not a registered breed. Could be wrong on that though.
it seems like everyone wants them to be a fluffy house dog they can post to instagram when they go to the dog park. I wonder if I cant make him to be more utilitarian.

You absolutely can. But, like with all dogs, the parents personality and traits will determine a lot of it. Your pup may never be an award winning hunter, but you can absolutely train it for retrieving. We got a goldendoodle last year because my son is highly allergic to pet dander and he was able to tolerate a friend's goldendoodle. I started working him from the time he came home at 8 weeks on obedience and using his nose. Did not start any kind of 'hunting training' until he was about 5 months and if I had it to do over again, I might wait until he was 6-7 months for the attention span.

He is trusting his nose more and more each day I work with him rather than just going on guessing and sight. He does blind retrieves in the yard with duck decoys scattered about as distractors. He found a mallard I shot that landed in reeds for me this year. He is still working on the mouth feel of an actual bird, but that will come.

Remember, that over the years, these dogs were bred to be primarily house and family dogs. Mine is a fantastic family dog, but because I started him early, he shakes with anxious energy when he sees me getting out the training objects and LOVES to work. I don't know that all goldendoodles will be this way, but I sought out a pup that appeared to be inquisitive and had some energy rather than just laying there and wanting to be held. I wanted independence in my dog from a young age and then trained the obedience from day 1. Good luck!ChesterHunt12.21.JPG

Back crosses do not breed true, of course. What you will get, is NOT a "normal" goldendoodle. goldendoodles are NOT a breed. They are a hybrid, and the guy that invented them regrets it now.

But be that as it may work on getting him to use his nose - hide things, including yourself, your SO, or anything you want him to find (like a game bird wing). Walk him around downwind and praise him and treat him for finding it.

Teach him to retrieve. It should be a game, in the house away from other distractions. I prefer a hallway. Get him grabbing, tugging, and playing with you and a favorite toy (never to be used for unsupervised play). Toss it 2 feet (at most down the dead-end direction in the hallway. When he grabs it call for him back and grab it immediately as he comes by. Repeat immediately so it is a nonstop game of chase, grab, return, repeat. Do it just a few times. Wait and hour or two, repeat. Quit while it is still the most fun he has ever had.

Find out if it is and F1 or F2 and then research what you are looking at.

With youngsters, training should be very short (single-digit minutes) and very fun.

Never too early to go to the gun range and hang out a hundred yards away or more and play while slowly advancing.

it seems like everyone wants them to be a fluffy house dog they can post to instagram when they go to the dog park. I wonder if I cant make him to be more utilitarian.
Of course you can. But it's really about your training ability and effort.

I know there is a certain Corgi duck-dog out there. I've seen pheasants hunting with German Shepherds and Cattle dogs. You can definitely train him to do whatever you want.

This is my boy Gus on opening morning, 1 week short of his 4-month birthday.

1644860899056.jpeg

I also forgot to mention that the goldendoodle coat is not ideal for field hunting. You will spend a ton of time picking burrs and matts out if you do not keep the coat cut very short (ask me how I know...), but in LA, that might not be a big deal and your pup will likely appreciate a short coat.

Of course you can. But it's really about your training ability and effort.

I know there is a certain Corgi duck-dog out there. I've seen pheasants hunting with German Shepherds and Cattle dogs. You can definitely train him to do whatever you want.

This is my boy Gus on opening morning, 1 week short of his 4-month birthday.

View attachment 212355
That vest doesn't fit! He's gonna be a big dog.

This is the late great Opal at three months. OpalPatSharpies (1).jpg

They don't always take off so quickly. Ellie rivals the best of them now but she really didn't amount to anything as a hunting dog till the very last days of her second season. Then she jumped to the top of the ladder one cold windy afternoon near Geraldine when I had to hunt her alone. She never looked back. Moral of the story is don't give up. Like hunting itself, the harder you have to work at making a dog into something, the more rewarding the "trophy" when it's all done.

How is his retrieve instinct? For most breeds the instinct to retrieve is not something that needs to be trained. There are a lot of skills for both waterfowl and upland that need to be taught and you probably won't find a lot of resources to train the drive to retrieve. Also make sure to specialize. The skills of a waterfowl dog an upland dog are almost polar opposites. It's difficult to train a dog to do both. Like others have said, make sure he obeys first and foremost. Having a dog that won't recall or stay makes all other training worthless.

How is his retrieve instinct? For most breeds the instinct to retrieve is not something that needs to be trained. There are a lot of skills for both waterfowl and upland that need to be taught and you probably won't find a lot of resources to train the drive to retrieve. Also make sure to specialize. The skills of a waterfowl dog an upland dog are almost polar opposites. It's difficult to train a dog to do both. Like others have said, make sure he obeys first and foremost. Having a dog that won't recall or stay makes all other training worthless.
at 2 months old, he has a hard time following a thrown toy, but will chase it down if I make him watch it being thrown. He doesn't bring it back to me that great but will pick it up and move it across the room.

at 2 months old, he has a hard time following a thrown toy, but will chase it down if I make him watch it being thrown. He doesn't bring it back to me that great but will pick it up and move it across the room.
The bringing back after the retrieve is always something that needs training. All of my labs however could be in the middle of literally anything else though and if you trow something they drop what they are doing and go get it.

Cut the distance you are throwing. Cut it like75% or more. And if he likes to chase, then throw it as soon as you have it so the reward for fetching is that he gets to chase it.

If he isn't bringing it back to you DO NOT THROW IT.

I'm not a pro, but I've done it wrong enough times...

Also remember that he doesn't understand your words (yet). You can't describe to him what you want him to do you have to show him and/or be able to make him do what you are asking.

Also remember that he doesn't understand your words (yet). You can't describe to him what you want him to do you have to show him and/or be able to make him do what you are asking.
I always try to speak to my pups in monosyllabic paragraphs. Doesn't always work out, but it helps.

Get out the treats. Give him one when he brings the toy back. Try a ball with a bell inside. That generally drives a pup nuts when bounced across the floor.

I will preface my next statement by saying we have owned 4 "doodles" over the years after my lab passed away. My wife is allergic to dogs but none of the doodles cause a reaction.

They were as follows, golden doodle, labradoodle, Pryodoodle ( Great Pyrenees Poodle ) and currently a Giant Schnoodle.

The first two were by far the hardest to train, the labradoodle was an absolute headache to train.

Now if you google box up regarding " developer of labradoodle regrets his decision"

I am not saying they are bad dogs. Ours were loving dogs but the traits he calls out absolutley were present in ours. If the guy who invented the dog says it is a bad combo and it is his life's regret... It would make me think twice.

The bringing back after the retrieve is always something that needs training. All of my labs however could be in the middle of literally anything else though and if you trow something they drop what they are doing and go get it.
I would restrict the retrieves to 2 retrieves per session in a hallway and make it a big deal with praise. Teach him that as soon as he brings it back the toy gets tossed again. Make the tosses short as your shaping a behavior to chase and come back. Do this until this is the best game in town and pup is crazy about the game. Short tosses are better than long tosses and a hallway naturally shapes the habit to return to the thrower.
Here is an example to illustrate how short a toss to shape the retrieve desire.
No need to steady your pup or introduce a toy shot, just make pup crazy about retrieving.

I would restrict the retrieves to 2 retrieves per session in a hallway and make it a big deal with praise. Teach him that as soon as he brings it back the toy gets tossed again. Make the tosses short as your shaping a behavior to chase and come back. Do this until this is the best game in town and pup is crazy about the game. Short tosses are better than long tosses and a hallway naturally shapes the habit to return to the thrower.
Here is an example to illustrate how short a toss to shape the retrieve desire.
No need to steady your pup or introduce a toy shot, just make pup crazy about retrieving.
Good advice above. I don't have a hallway but my kitchen is about the size of most hallways. I couldn't get Ellie to retreive to hand consistently until I injected treats into the game. The ball with a bell inside was also a game changer for getting her started. She had attention definite issues especially if the other dogs were anywhere around. At the beginning anyway, always make this a one on one game (i.e. no spectators). The curious thing about Ellie is she still can be sloppy about bringing the training dummy or toy to hand, especially with water retreives. But bird wing and birds ALWAYS come to hand. The first time she dropped a crippled rooster pheasant she lost it. That cured her! That was four years ago. To this day every time we return to that place she swims the creek looking for it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back