Caribou Gear

How to clean primer pockets?

Kaitum

How are you guys cleaning the primer pocket on your casings? Are you using one of the hand tools from Lee or Midway? Or does your tumbling process clean them? I have just a plane jane Lyman tumbler and use crushed walnut shell media. I'm happy with its work on the rest of the casing but it's not doing much for the primer pockets.

I tumble before removing the primer. Then remove and clean. The equipment I use has a rotating primer pocket cleaner.

I resize, trim, then wet tumble with stainless media. Brass looks new when done. Before I did this is used a hand operated pocket cleaner. If I deprimed before tumbling with dry media the primer pockets usually clogged with media and didn't get cleaned well

Last edited:
I de-prime and tumble before loading. It cleans the pocket pretty well. If there is one that is not clean, I use the little hand brush made for that job.

I don't tumble my brass. I use the RCBS brush made for this purpose.

If I deprimed before tumbling with dry media the primer pockets usually clogged with media and didn't get cleaned well

That's what I experience as well, media clogs the primer pocket when depriming before tumbling.

I use a primer pocket wire brush running on a Lyman? prep station and really like set up.

C

That's what I experience as well, media clogs the primer pocket when depriming before tumbling.

The only clog is in the primer hole, which is easily punched out. I have to use the brush on very few casing, after they have been thoroughly vibrated (not tumbled, I misspoke).

I resize, trim, then wet tumble with stainless media. Brass looks new when done. Before I did this is used a hand operated pocket cleaner. If I deprimed before tumbling with dry media the primer pockets usually clogged with media and didn't get cleaned well

Wet stainless media is the only way anymore in my book. Its flat out awesome stuff.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back