How tight a group?

Oh, my favorite topic! Well almost my favorite topic.

I shoot 2-shot groups. But it is not so much, how many shots per group, but how many groups, and what you do with the data that matter. For those that want to go there, I offer this. It is not like anything you have seen before.

If you don't like it, that's fine too.
no-hard-pass.gif

I always shoot the rifle from a "field position", laying down off a bipod, so back bag. To me there is no benefit to shooting from a sled or something, the rifle is only going to shoot as well as I can so might as well set realistic expectations at the range.
I think that probably right but how do you know your own ability is not effecting something if you have no idea how well the gun might shoot? In fairness, I like shooting off a bench to know how well the rifle really does shoot but not only that, I like to hear people say wow!

I think that probably right but how do you know your own ability is not effecting something if you have no idea how well the gun might shoot? In fairness, I like shooting off a bench to know how well the rifle really does shoot but not only that, I like to hear people say wow!
I grew up shooting competitive air rifle, so I am pretty confident in own ability. I've shot 3-shot groups off a bipod down to ~0.25 MOA. For me, I don't see the point in shooting off a sled, but that is personal preference. For others my methods may not work.

I grew up shooting competitive air rifle, so I am pretty confident in own ability. I've shot 3-shot groups off a bipod down to ~0.25 MOA. For me, I don't see the point in shooting off a sled, but that is personal preference. For others my methods may not work.
Good point but remember you grew up shooting a rifle that didn't hurt you! I would fully agre with you!

My take is don't go out with a setup you don't have confidence in. Logically, there is a point where it's "good enough" but I finally hit that spot with my weapon and ammo this year where I really felt confident with it (300 win mag. 200 gr eld/x, .6" @ 100 prone from a hunting pack). It helped me relax this year and I was able to put my best shot ever on a bull (although there wasn't much of a heart left to take home.) I hunted for years with setups I really didn't like or truly trust and I'm glad I didn't give up the pursuit of confidence in my rig. It makes the hunting experience much more enjoyable. Just my .02 and likely worth what you paid for it...

Good point but remember you grew up shooting a rifle that didn't hurt you! I would fully agre with you!
Yea, I'm pretty lucky in that respect. I went from the air rifle to a 6mm Rem to a .270 win. Never got scared of recoil in that progression.

Yea, I'm pretty lucky in that respect. I went from the air rifle to a 6mm Rem to a .270 win. Never got scared of recoil in that progression.
You sir are a perfect example of what learning properly leads to! Inagine if that first rifle was the 270? You had a good teacher!

I'm working up a load for my .300 Win Mag at the same time my buddy is working one up for his 6.5-284. We were out shooting the other day and my best group was .75 off aim point. He was around 1 to 1-1/4. The "discussion" started as to good enough based on the intended target. If your kill zone is 6" in diameter then I would say that 3" group is good enough. He wasn't happy with the 1-1/4. Obviously the more consistently accurate is better but at what point is it good enough?
I got a steal on a Remington long action in 7mmrem mag at Sportsman’s warehouse one October about 10 years ago because I spotted rust on the action(I was looking for an action for a custom rifle). Talked to the manager and he sold it for half of what it was priced at because of the rust. This factory rifle shot about 1.5” at 100 and I sighted it in 2.5”high. While trying to get around and above some elk a really nice mule deer skylines himself on a ridge. I drop my pack and have a surprisingly good rest. Range him at 375 and hold at the top of his back and squeeze off two shots-2nd one while walking. Both shots hit the heart and I was very impressed with myself…regardless after that hunting season I stuck with the plan to turn that action into a custom rifle. Now that rifle (the only thing original is the action and caliber) shoots less then .25 Moa at 100 yards with its ammo. For me hunting with a rifle that shoots excellent is essential. If it wasn’t I’d probably use my bow a lot more

I'm working up a load for my .300 Win Mag at the same time my buddy is working one up for his 6.5-284. We were out shooting the other day and my best group was .75 off aim point. He was around 1 to 1-1/4. The "discussion" started as to good enough based on the intended target. If your kill zone is 6" in diameter then I would say that 3" group is good enough. He wasn't happy with the 1-1/4. Obviously the more consistently accurate is better but at what point is it good enough?
I have the same problem. All my buddies and me try to get as tight a group as possible, but we're shooting deer and with the large kill zone, one must wonder why we strive for as tight a group as possible. MY take on it is try for perfection that isn't at all possible, but a worthy challenge!!

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back