How old is too old to hunt?

After climbing up over Headquarters Pass down into the North Sun River in the Bob, a fellow in his early seventies rode up to us with a group of dudes and an outfitter. He asked my wife, "How old are you? How old is that old guy ... and how did he get here?" She replied, "Me, early seventies; him, late seventies ... we hiked over the pass." The dude said, "I'm on a bucket list ride into the Bob, but now I have renewed interest in hiking myself into the wilderness!"
Mom, who lived to 101, always said, "Move it ... or lose it!"
Still elk hunting and hiking at 79 this week (albeit somewhat slower than last decade), Straight.

B. Headquarters Pass.jpg

There’s a man, Mr. Sanders who hunts the same public as I do and he was doing it 10 years before I was born. He is closing in on 90 now and he still hunts three or four times a a week. He drives the same red 68 Chevy 2wd truck and shoots a 8mm Remington that he reloads his ammo for because he can no longer buy it.
He hunts one of two pipelines sitting on a stool from daylight until 2 pm and he’ll go home if someone is there and just come back the next day. They are easy to get to so that’s why he only hunts there.
If he kills a deer he has a wheelbarrow that he loads them in and pushes them out. It takes him hours to do it. He only shoots bucks, but size doesn’t matter.
He says he’ll hunt until he can no longer get the deer in his wheelbarrow and push them out.
I gave Mr. Sanders my number and told him to call anytime…we’d get his deer out if he can’t.
I hope to hunt as long as Mr. Sanders has.

62 here and I can say that due to the situation I have here plus tearing up my other knee that my hunting days are over. I'll keep getting a hunting license for small game and doves but no more deer or anything big.

After climbing up over Headquarters Pass down into the North Sun River in the Bob, a fellow in his early seventies rode up to us with a group of dudes and an outfitter. He asked my wife, "How old are you? How old is that old guy ... and how did he get here?" She replied, "Me, early seventies; him, late seventies ... we hiked over the pass." The dude said, "I'm on a bucket list ride into the Bob, but now I have renewed interest in hiking myself into the wilderness!"
Mom, who lived to 101, always said, "Move it ... or lose it!"
Still elk hunting and hiking at 79 this week (albeit somewhat slower than last decade), Straight.

View attachment 305802
When I grow up I wanna be like ^^^this guy...

Be willing to bet in hunter gatherer societies the aging hunter kept on going until they just plain fell out. If the aging ones were lucky enough to get old pretty sure they wouldn’t give it up. Kinda goes hand in hand with the warrior way. Never say die.

I'll be 68 next month and have hunting partners who are 53 and 51. I don't try to keep up with them. I just hunt the same general area and look for flat ground and stumps. I generally go from dawn to noon or 1 pm. 5 or 6 hours, and then I'm ready for camp. I'll keep going on until it's not fun.

I've had two heart valve replacements, on my third pacemaker, have congestive heart failure, and enough trouble breathing that I have disability permits to "use a vehicle as a blind".
I use an ATV to get to my stand, and a Warn winch to load up my deer on the front rack.
I'm 72 and shot my deer last Saturday.

I LOVE deer hunting.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
idelkhntr13
Back