Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

How often change string/d-loop?

I just replaced all my strings, cables, and D ring. One thing I can never figure out is how to prevent the D ring from spinning. It seems to naturally move to a 90 degree angle to the string. Any ideas?

Last edited:
I just replaces all my strings, cables, and D ring. One thing I can never figure out is how to prevent the D ring from spinning. It seems to naturally move to a 90 degree angle to the string. Any ideas?
Either the Dloop is too loose or its not the dloop moving, but instead your string stetching and causing dloop/peep rotation.

I was talking with the owner of shop, also makes awesome strings. But, he said never wax your string. They are waxed when made and by waxing them you are just keeping them tacky and allowing dirt to stick to it, and pushing dirt into the string. The original wax is more than enough. Strings no matter how little shoot I would change minimally every 2 years. Cheap insurance imo.

Also when you are carrying your bow carry it by the riser not the string and if you are strapping to your pack while hiking have something covering the string.

Edit: I always waxed my string but am trialing this tactic to see if it makes any difference. 6 months in shooting 20-40 arrows 5 days a week and string still looks new.

Last edited:
Haven't waxed a string in 10 years. Give it a few licks with a paper wrap and it'll pull some more wax to the surface.

I’ve seriously cut back on the amount I wax a string. Used to do it a lot and now maybe once a year at most

The correct answer is as soon as your loop shows any wear.

The rule I live by is when it breaks and I punch myself in the mouth. Then I go in and tie a new one on.
Love that! Only thing I’d add is watch the burnt part and make sure it’s not tucking in the loop, that’d be considered wear, IMO. But when it breaks… well, they’ll see..

I use a metal D loop. I have used the same one for decades. I move it over when I change my string. The screw on and are dead easy to install. I leave them snugish until I get the tiller right, and them clamp them down.
Considered them until I read some reviews about increased noise. What has your experience been?

I shoot an old Hoyt Spectre and it's not as fast as the latest generation of bows. It is actually pretty quiet. Way quieter than my recurve.

Back