Caribou Gear Tarp

How often change string/d-loop?

Brachii

I got my bow 3-4 years ago and, admittedly, I don’t wax the string all the much. But, I also don’t shoot it that much… maybe a couple hundred arrows in the month leading up to each season. I had a guy at a bow shop try to tell me to replace the string every other year but that seems excessive.

Is he just strumming up business or is the integrity of the D-loop and/or strings really that fragile? Might as well ask about how often to replace my arrows while I’m at it (assuming there’s no obvious damage or weakening).

I change the d-loop a few times a year. They definitely wear. It's super easy to do it yourself. I usually change my string every 2-3 years.

You really should do it every other year more often if you shoot a lot. Strings and cables are under constant pressure and degrade even if you're not shooting them. D loops wear differently and once they start to show signs of wear replace it.

Glad I saw this, I just replaced mine last year and started noticing some fraying after shooting a ton the last month or so: I better get it changed.

I’m also glad I asked and getting these responses. One of my fears is pulling back and something snapping, sending an arrow into my leg or neck. I’ll get the D loop, at least, changed for sure. I would do it myself, but the peace of mind of getting it done by a pro is worth whatever it costs.

The point about the strings being under tension even when it’s not used is a good one. Thanks!

I’m also glad I asked and getting these responses. One of my fears is pulling back and something snapping, sending an arrow into my leg or neck. I’ll get the D loop, at least, changed for sure. I would do it myself, but the peace of mind of getting it done by a pro is worth whatever it costs.

The point about the strings being under tension even when it’s not used is a good one. Thanks!
There is nothing difficult about installing a loop. Buy the ones with pre-melted ends if you are worried about cutting lengths of your own and then tie on as instructed. It’s very very easy, I keep several in my kit. Of course, anytime you are in the shop they can also replace one that needs it in a minute or so.

Im trying to wrap my head around how someone would be scared about shooting an arrow into their neck or leg? I mean, I’m glad you came to your senses about getting them replaced but is that a legit fear people have?

Im trying to wrap my head around how someone would be scared about shooting an arrow into their neck or leg? I mean, I’m glad you came to your senses about getting them replaced but is that a legit fear people have?
I’ve seen this and way worse. Lots can happen when any kind of projectile goes off when you’re not expecting it. Thanks for contributing to the thread

There is nothing difficult about installing a loop. Buy the ones with pre-melted ends if you are worried about cutting lengths of your own and then tie on as instructed. It’s very very easy, I keep several in my kit. Of course, anytime you are in the shop they can also replace one that needs it in a minute or so.
I actually felt a little bad for having the pros do it. It took him 30 seconds maybe.

I would be more worried about punching myself in the face than shooting myself in the neck. lol

I’ve seen this and way worse. Lots can happen when any kind of projectile goes off when you’re not expecting it. Thanks for contributing to the thread

Now you’ve really piqued my interest. Any of those archery stories you’d be willing to share?

In my case after my eyes stopped watering I pulled my arrow out of the target not sure how it hit I figured it was gone. I had a bit of a black eye and nobody believed me I did it to myself. My neck and legs were safe.

Now you’ve really piqued my interest. Any of those archery stories you’d be willing to share?
I’ll share one. I have it on video but I’m a poon and ain’t gonna. And it shows location pretty easily.

I was 15 yards from where the deer where jumping the fence, didn’t know that when I sat there but hallelujah right?? Haha turns out they didn’t wanna cross the road to public until dark dark. I drew when number one crossed but it was a yearling spike buck— it spooked a little and by the time it stopped at about 60 there were 5-7 more in the field jumping over and stirring with the first. I didn’t have a buck tag any longer so Naturally, I tried to pick the closest of the does that just hit the fence in front of me. It was really too dark for me to have any biz shooting now, and they all were flipping out after they sent the baby buck in first. I tried to let down after being at draw for around 45-1:00 and I could feel it catching after letting down maybe 5% of the length. Kept hitting where left off would be.. I cannot discribe really except it didn’t want to let down, and I was already nearing collapse.. some of you may have known but It turned out later I had a bent axel and it caused a lot of issues. When I finally decided I had to do my best to let it down slow, even though it didn’t friggin wanna, it blew up; derailed, and sent the broadhead flipping end over end at about 30 rps in front of my eyelids.. I COULD SEE that in the dark. Almost caught that sucker under the chin or in the eye.

I was in the same boat as the OP, I hadn't changed my string or D loop in a long time (8 years original string and d loop).
They were both showing some wear and I knew it was time, but I don't shoot a ton and a couple years wasn't able to hunt archery season so I shot only a couple times those years. The d loop looked worn so I changed that out a couple months ago and also knew the strings were worn but I did wax pretty regularly. So I also decided that after this season I would get some new strings.

I had changed my draw modules out a couple times and had to move my peep a little for the adjustment thus my peep was twisting. About 3 weeks ago I decided to take a twist back out of my string to straighten the peep. Let bow down from 70 lbs to 50 lbs and was going to try the allen wrench in the cam trick to do this as a quick fix.
I ended up derailing the string and tearing up the serving that goes around the cam, also broke a strand at the end of one of the cables. No damage to the bow as it was not very violent. Now I have 6 weeks until my hunt. No bow press and need new strings.

I ordered a set of strings from Mike at Catfish Custom Strings, ordered online and then also spoke to Mike on the phone. Great customer service and super strings, I went with the Bloodline vec 99. I had them in my hands in less that 2 weeks.
I also ordered the Bow Medic Field press that locks on the the limbs below and at the tips. I also found that my Tipton Ultra gun vise is an excellant way to hold your bow and use the press. I was able to break the bow down, clean and check the cams, install the new strings cables and buss cables with very little problem.
I took my time and photographed everything proior to removal. I took me a couple hours Friday evening because I had never done this before and checked over every thing. Saturday I shot it several times, paper tuned and set the peep.
Prior to the new strings I was struggling with getting my broadhead flight and due to stretch of the old strings had lost a couple pounds of draw weight.
Last night I was able to set my 30 and 40 pins along with picking a sight tape and was shooting feild points at 60 yads and broadheads at 30 and 40 yards.
Now I have total confidence in my set up, I gained back the draw weight + and added 8 fps speed, my broadheads are now hitting great out to 40 yards and I am actually greatful my mistake happened. I will never go that long without changing strings again, it will be ever 2-3 years depending on how much I shoot.
Again can't say enought about Mike at Catfish Customs and his customer service and abilities as a string maker.

Last edited:
I replace strings yearly, but I also shoot a lot. D loops are simple to swap out and I’ve found if you have some sort of nock set tied in it’s even less painful that way you get it back in the exact same spot after replacement.

I will also second Mike at Catfish Customs. His customer service is top notch and strings don’t seem to stretch on me. I’ve had multiple set built by him and have been using the Bloodline fiber the last few years as well with good results.

I use a metal D loop. I have used the same one for decades. I move it over when I change my string. The screw on and are dead easy to install. I leave them snugish until I get the tiller right, and them clamp them down.

Any signs of wear, you should change it. Keep it waxed and keep your eye on it or you will also punch yourself in the jaw and have to go down to 1 knee....lol

If your release doesn't have any burrs or edges on it that are causing wear or slowly cutting d loop then your dloop material might be the problem. I replace my bow strings/cables after 2 seasons of use, sometimes 3 if they look like they're in good condition and they're still able to hold a tune. I use Pine Ridge nitro d loop material and it will last the entire 2-3 years I use those strings. In other words, I put the loop on when the strings are new and it stays on the entire life of the string.

If your dloop is needing to be replaced multiple times a year you need to check your release for burrs or change your dloop material.

I ordered one of these about 5 or 6 years ago and still have well over half of it left. Its extremely stiff material.

Last edited:
D loops last years, if not you have release jaw issues or the wrong loop material. BCY 23 or 24 is the best you can get.

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back