Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

How much??

trophy_killer

How much would it cost for my dad and I to take a trip to either Canada or Alaska and have great odds on blasting a couple of decent sized Caribou??

Thanks, TK. :D :D

It varies. for the mulchatna herd the cost for the fly-in is anywhere from $1200 and up, usually the going rate is somewhere around $1500 though.

If you shoot that stick and string thing you could rent a vehicle out of fairbanks and drive the haul road. Its bow only for I believe 5 miles on either side of the road, then its open to rifle.

its $85 dollars for the license and $325 for the license plus of course airfare to AK. Starting this year you cannot fly your antlers as extra baggage. so they have to be expedited by a taxidermist or stop by fed-ex or UPS and ship them your self.

t_k, i just got this from a friend of mine in Tx. It's a breakdown of his trip costs, I think from 2000. He flew out with HIgh Adventure Air out of Soldotna.

COST of hunt

UPS 2day air of gear up to Soldotna ~ $204/each
Hunting license ~ $85
Caribou tag ~ $325
wolf tag ~ $30
14 day fishing license ~ $50
TK from Hou to Anchorage and Back ~ $650
Rental car 2 weeks ~ $400 ($200/each)
1 night in Anchorage ~ $100 ($20/each)
1 night in Soldotna ~ $89 ($45/each)
High Adventure ~ $1350/EACH ($1200/EACH IF 3 OR MORE)
meat processing ~ $120
1 night in Soldotna~ $89 ($45/each)
3 nights at Silvertip ~ $260( $130/each)
gifts ~ $200
shipping gear and horns home ~ $75
food while being tourist ~ $200
Bush CO ~ $50

I think the figure for the Bush Company is a lie though. :D :D

Wow! Close to 4 grand for a Caribou!
:eek:

I believe I'll save my money for a float trip Moose hunt.

Bill

I'm putting together a list too, ANd I'm looking at the cost of Everything.. Funny how the most Expensive costs are after the hunt, The caping, tanning, Taxidermy, the shipping, meat proccessing, meat shipping, Ect.

I have a list of ALL my costs and Will see what I spend on the Trip, I think it could Easily go over 10k with everything included if We score on Several Animals.. Will have to see..

I'm calling BS on the $50 dfor the Ak Bush Co/ too... Since I'm gonig with DAD we're not planning to stop there, but maybe next time
wink.gif

I didn't keep real good track of our costs for Bou out of Dillingham, but it was much less than this. I think I am cheap, so we figured other ways to do it cheaper.

COST of hunt

UPS 2day air of gear up to Dillingham ~ Nothing. What can you ship? The pilot allows you 70lbs of gear, the airlines will haul 140 per person (then, 100 now.)
Hunting license ~ $85
Caribou tag ~ $325 x 2 =$650 (each person can have 2, I bought 2, my buddy bought 1 Bou, 1 $400 moose, and tagged a bou with the Moose tag.
wolf tag ~ $0 Never bought one, never saw one. If money was a concern, skip it.
7 day fishing license ~ $25 just have one person get this. You are hunting, not fishing, and the lake we were dropped on had no fish of size.
TK from Boise to Dillingham and Back ~ $677 from current Website
Rental car 2 weeks ~ $No car needed in D'ham
1 night in D'ham on way in ~ $50 each at B$B
1 night in D'ham on way in ~ $50 each
Air Service~ $800/EACH ($400 per hour, 100 mph, 90 mile flight for Beaver on Floats
meat processing ~ $0.00 We boned it in the flying service shop,
Meat Boxes $10 x 3
Freezer REnt $5/per box per night = $15
gifts ~ $not much to buy in D'ham
shipping gear and horns home ~ $0.00, there was the cutest little redhead ticke agent, who kind of took a liking to me.
food while being tourist ~ $no tourism expense in D'ham
Pizza and Beer and Diet Coke on first night out of the bush $20/each
Bush CO ~ $75, might as well upgrade here
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

Caping - $0.00 Did it myself, don't you??

Looks like the total is about $2500 for 2 Bou, round trip from Boise. Once I got home, the Taxidermy was $450 each animal, and now I have 2 Bou, taking up a big part of my walls in my office. ONe would have been enough, if money was the concern.

We ended up bring back 3 x 70lbs of boxed meat, cut in big chunks, that I further cut once we got back to the valley. The boxes were actually a bit over the 70lb limit, but remember the cute redheaded ticket agent????

elkgrin.gif
Elkgrinner.....

NUT... 2 months for Bou ? I never heard of such ? Most people go for MAX of 6 days ? 5 being the average.. 3-4 common.

I'm guessing 2,500 is a good #. Cheap is a good way to go. I end up dropping a bit more usually on trips becasue When I come out the field I don't mind spending $50 on a burger
smile.gif
HAHA !!

Elkgunner, Thanx for the breakdown. I like seeing what it cost other people. Kind of sets a good goal to look at !!

I like elkgunners idea also. Do as much yourself as possible. If you fly out of dillingham, iliamna..etc, most places do have a meat shack for you to debone and hang your critter.

As for getting your stuff home, I'd just mail the nonessentials. Take meat and guns/bows on the plane. Mail home all your gear for about $40. Unless your lucky enough to find another cute readhead (some people have all the luck
smile.gif
)

Moosie, his hunt was only around 5 days. Remember he left from Ohio on Aug 6th. He went to Alaska and saw the sights before his hunt started. He used his 5th wheeler to go so that was alot of driving.
eek.gif

My future bou hunt probably will be closer to home. I dont have a need to get all the subspecies.
wink.gif
Besides I still am planning on Africa in 2005
biggrin.gif
elkgrin.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back