how much cooler for a processed Elk

dove_hunter

I am going on an outfitted elk hunt with my Father In law and his buddy. we will be getting our meat processed and then taking it home. How big of a cooler would I need for 1 elk? I am not trying to count my chickens.... just want toi be prepared and optimistic.

thanks

The search function can be your freind.

The search function can be your freind.

YES, this question should be pinned to the top :)

I am going on an outfitted elk hunt with my Father In law and his buddy. we will be getting our meat processed and then taking it home. How big of a cooler would I need for 1 elk? I am not trying to count my chickens.... just want toi be prepared and optimistic.

thanks
Corey jacobsen did a video on this for an elk, find it on youtube. I wamt to say it takes about 210 qts of room. Very informative video though.

You are correct, bone in quarters.
Last time I looked into this, I seem to recall about 160 quarts for two bulls, boned, processed and iced.

In the FWIW column, I did a little experiementing with my vacuum sealer and discovered that it will run off of the 110V converter on my F150. This year our mule deer will come home completely processed and frozen solid (Dry Ice).

I put 4 quarters (and backstraps, loins, misc) in 2 large 150 ct coleman coolers this fall with frozen jugs of ice. I would think one 150 ct cooler would work for processed elk (no bones and packaged)

Processed meat from a big elk will fit in 110 cooler but not much room for ice.

Just a recap on my experience. We fit 1 processed packaged and frozen elk into a old 125 quart igloo cooler. I have a 165 quart that held one and some of another and the rest went into what mus have been a 80-90 quart cooler. the only time we used the coolers for holding any game was when we picked up the meat from the processor. We didnt have any trouble keeping the elk cool where we were hunting.
thanks for the input

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back