How many rounds at the range?

A207X2

When you go to the range to shoot for a day, what's the max number of rounds you put down the barrel that day? I'm specifically asking about a hunting rifle. For example I have a Savage Weather Warrior in 30-06 that I have plenty of ammo for. I don't shoot the rifle nearly as much as i do my shotguns, AR, or AK. I do need to get more proficient with it though - especially shooting with a riflescope - but I don't want to overheat it.

How many is too many in one day? 5? 50? 500?

Ammo is 168 gr FMJ and 168 gr SP

Barnaul.jpg

Last edited:
Usually a range trip with centerfire hunting rifles is between 20-100. If I am testing loads I bring multiple rifles/loads to test. That gives me a chance to let one cool down while I switch to another for a group. I also usually bring a .223 or .22 to shoot groups between groups with bigger rifles as it helps to calm the nerves so I don’t start flinching. Yesterday I went out for a bit just to say I got outside in a busy weekend. Shot 5 rounds of .30-06( last of a batch), 6 rounds of .338-06 and did some plinking with the .22. Nothing serious, just needing an excuse to get out and the range is ten minutes away.

The amount for the day isn't an issue. The issues to me would be 1) Whether you are allowing a good amount of time between rounds and 2) What my shoulder can handle. I have a surgically repaired shoulder that is NOT a fan of my '06. As such, most of my shooting for practice comes from my 17 HMR. Both rifle are bolt action Savages with accutriggers. While not exactly the same, the mechanics are similar, the recoil is non-existent and rounds are MUCH cheaper. For my '06 my range time is usually 3 rounds to confirm zero prior to season. This works for me.

When you go to the range to shoot for a day, what's the max number of rounds you put down the barrel that day? I'm specifically asking about a hunting rifle. For example I have a Savage Weather Warrior in 30-06 that I have plenty of ammo for. I don't shoot the rifle nearly as much as i do my shotguns, AR, or AK. I do need to get more proficient with it though - especially shooting with a riflescope - but I don't want to overheat it.

How many is too many in one day? 5? 50? 500?

Ammo is 168 gr FMJ and 168 gr SP

View attachment 159659
The number of rounds depends on the experience of the operator behind it. It normally takes 4 to 8 rounds. then I make several trips away from the range for much needed trigger time to achieve an intimate relationship with the load at different ranges and the use of equipment. Accuracy is #1, putting it down on the first shot is a total different ball game!

Last edited:
I have not thought of it as number of rounds rather than shooting until i accomplish my goal. Sighting in or testing a different yardage, windage, etc. I mainly shoot in the boonies so dont have to worry about others around and i generally take a number of guns. I dont think i have shot more than 2 to 3 boxes out of one gun in a sitting before, with a hunting rifle. But its generally just a group or two to make sure its on then put it away and grab the next one.

Thanks to all. My concern was of overheating the barrel, possibly causing damage to it. For my AR/AK/pistols I'll go to the range and easily put 200 rounds down each barrel. Just didn't know if that would cause any concerns for a hunting rifle.

Thanks to all. My concern was of overheating the barrel, possibly causing damage to it. For my AR/AK/pistols I'll go to the range and easily put 200 rounds down each barrel. Just didn't know if that would cause any concerns for a hunting rifle.
The rate of fire is going to be the biggest issue here. Not so much that you will be ruining your barrel, as much as once the barrel heats up you accuracy will begin to suffer. 20rnds should probably take about an hour to shoot....

Last edited:
For hunting, rifle once it is sighted in I spend most of my time shooting under field conditions at balloons.
At what distance can I consistently hit balloons shooting up/down steep slopes, in high winds, in the rain, off a pack, etc.

For hunting, rifle once it is sighted in I spend most of my time shooting under field conditions at balloons.
At what distance can I consistently hit balloons shooting up/down steep slopes, in high winds, in the rain, off a pack, etc.

Good call, I do very similar shooting, once sighted-in. I'll try the rifle from different field positions, different yardages. Typically I use a 8" paper plate for a target. Figure if I can hit it every time, from kneeling, sitting, standing, etc, I'm hitting the kill zone no problem.

Prior to a Brooks Range grizzly hunt, I set up a steel target on Forest Service land at the head of a small canyon, then "stalked" the target. I moved back and forth and up the canyon slowly. When I'd see the target, I'd take a shot, or two, from whatever position & rest seemed appropriate. Fun way to go through about 12 rounds of ammo and I think it helped.

As far as numbers of rounds fired from the hunting rifles during practice - I think I used to over-do it, firing as many as 50 in a practice session. Now I tend to shoot no more than twenty. If I want some more marksmanship practice, I'll pull out the 22 rifle and use it.

Regards, Guy

2 or 3 unless things are off. Then whatever it takes rounds/time to make it right, but that is rare. This year it took me 4. Then I shot exactly 1 more round and shot my elk.

If you re talking about going shooting and having a fun day, I will shoot several hundred out of my smaller caliber guns.

I like the idea of taking two or more guns to the range. I do it to keep the barrels cool. Just make sure you keep your head about you and dont put the wrong cartridge in the wrong gun. Some bad combinations out there if you are not paying attention. Bring two vastly different calibers for safety sake. The real field training mentioned is excellent.

Well I've got 50 rounds of 338 loaded up from 67 grains of powder up to 76grains. Working up a load for the rifle... Should be fun at the range...

Your much better off shooting 5 rounds more often, than 100 rounds in one sitting.
Most was in a match, 72 rounds. Consisted of three 20 round strings 20 minutes for each, and sighters.
You do NOT want to touch your barrel after a 20 round string!! :eek:

I take multiple rifles each trip. Shooting each from different positions, at different distances. And i go to the range year round.
25° with freezing rain, snow. 100° sunny, no wind.
My favorite is when the wind is up, and gusting 20+mph. Really helps when the hunting conditions are less than ideal!

Reactions: Guy
Your much better off shooting 5 rounds more often, than 100 rounds in one sitting.
Most was in a match, 72 rounds. Consisted of three 20 round strings 20 minutes for each, and sighters.
You do NOT want to touch your barrel after a 20 round string!! :eek:

I take multiple rifles each trip. Shooting each from different positions, at different distances. And i go to the range year round.
25° with freezing rain, snow. 100° sunny, no wind.
My favorite is when the wind is up, and gusting 20+mph. Really helps when the hunting conditions are less than ideal!

Ya, I used to compete in prone high-power rifle matches. Those strings of 20 will heat up a barrel for sure! :)

Guy

Our range is 30 miles from my house. For the past 40+ years I've gone to the range at least one day a week, all year long. I started going mainly for Trap shooting to learn to shoot a shotgun, than that developed into Trap leagues then into practice for ATA registered Trap shoots.

Then in the mid '80s we put in our first Skeet field and I quickly became more of a Skeet shooter than a Trap shooter, although I did enough practice that I became proficient at the state level in both events.

So what does this Trap and Skeet shooting have to do with the question of how many rounds at the range? We have, in my opinion, one of the best ranges in Montana. Our main rifle range has earth backstops with target frames and steel gongs at 100, 200, 300, 430 (400m), 500, and 550 yards. We also have 8 range bays from 25 to 100 yards that are separated by 20 foot high earth berms so each bay can have their own activities independent of the other bays. The main range and 5 of the bays have covered shooting areas with benches, and each year we are replacing the wood shooting benches with concrete ones.

On the shotgun side we have 4 Skeet fields and 6 Trap fields with 2 of the fields overlaid with both Trap and Skeet.

Just a little plug for the variety of shooting that we have available.

So, for my actual weekly shooting. If I am working up a rifle load, I'll usually set up my chronograph in one of the 100 yard bays. I'll normally load batches of 3 shells with the same powder charge, and after shooting each 3 shot batch I'll either switch rifles or shoot a pistol while my rifle barrel cools. I deep alternating until I shoot all of the test loads.

If I'm not working on a new load I'll just set up my steel pistol gong at 25 yards and I'll shoot offhand at that gong with 3 or 4 pistols with at least 2 cylinders or clips with each pistol. I'll usually shoot my 9mm Kimber concealed carry pistol, a 6" S&W .38/.357, a 4" S&W .44/.44 mag, and a 1911 .45 acp.

I'll then move over to the main rifle range and lay down a mat and shoot 2 or more rifles from a prone/bipod with 3 or 4 shots at each gong at 200, 300, and 430 yards with each rifle. Each week I shoot my .223 and .308 Weatherby Vanguards, and a month or more before a hunt I'll also shoot my .300 Weatherby, 7 mm RM, or .257 AI, with 3 or 4 shots at each of those gongs.

After I've finished my pistol and rifle shooting, I go to the Skeet range and, depending on the weather, shoot 2 to 4 lines of Skeet. Usually 2-3 lines of regular Skeet then 1 line of Doubles Skeet.

With a little variation of guns, I have been doing that routine just about every week since 1978. I figure that I've shot somewhere between 200,000 to 300,000 shotshells through my two Browning Trap and Skeet shotguns.

If the target isn't shooting back what is the hurry. Shoot 3,4 or 5 let the chamber cool down do it again.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NMArcheryCoues24
Back