Yeti GOBOX Collection

How many points...

Moosie

Grand poopa
A whitetail you count "ALL" the points. so 3 on the lt and 3 on the rt isn't a 3 point it's a 6 point.

A mule deer you count one side "x" the other side unless it's the Same.

Then it's a Spike, a forked horn (2 point) or a 3 point, 4 point (etc.) Except you don't count the Eyeguards...

Is this right ?

Moosie your right to an extent.
I believe its Texas and east that count all the points even the eye guards.
In the west we only count 1 side on any deer,(not counting eye guards), unless like you stated its an odd rack or an non-typical.
But, a spike is a spike any where that I know of.

Yep we count the brow tines(eye guards) along with anything that you would be able to hang a wedding ring on.
biggrin.gif

a forkhorn to me is a 4 pointer without brow tines.
eek.gif

I count browtines if they are an inch (B&C scoring system).

Mule deer with brow tines and two branches= 5 point.

Mule deer with one brow tine and two branches= 4X5.

White tail with 5 on each side= 5 point.

White tail with 4 on one and 5 on the other= 4X5.

If you want to count all the points on your white tail, fine, just move east an buy a banjo.
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

It depends on where i am hunting!! but i count brows anywhere if they are over an inch.
Mtmiller, i dont own a banjo, and the reason i would call a deer with 5 points on a side a 10 point is because we can count higher than 5 on this side of the Mississippi.
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

Miller has it right, except that I try to always give the LxR number instead of just "5 pointer" because that raises the inevitable question of "is that 2x3 eastern or 5x5 western count?"

Nut's rule about the ring-hanger is interesting...some folks around here would count the the little nubbins around the base of the antler if you'd let them.
eek.gif
wink.gif

smile.gif
To take a legal deer in most parts of Pa, the deer must have at least 3 points on one side.It can be a true Y buck on one side(no brow tine) and have a brow tine and a Y on the other side and be legal.So,here in the east we count any point over 1 inch.
Playing the banjo is not a pre-requisite!

Back