How many of YOu are ready

Delw

for hunting.. I knwo you guys have your guns ready ammo ready area's picked out etc... but do you have all your trucks up and running. quads horse's and what ever else you need (in DKO's case lots of shoe leather hehe).. I am one that always waits till the last min for everything.... what about you guys?

Delw

Your joking right? :eek: ...I've been up in the mountains two or three times a week for the last 3 months, and I ain't close to being ready! 4 wheelers need tires and tuning,.... Horse trailor need s some more mats, that I have bought, but not installed....Horses need some more packs,.... Still need a knew stock for my back-up gun,7MM,.... want a new tent, just because,...... have some 20+ maps, but a couple I still need....need to learn how to better use my GPS......still need to buy a laser range finder....need some more tags over-the-counter for my boys....honey-dos around the house ain't getting done, and will surely cause problems come hunting season....and all I can do is chat with you guys on the 'puter!
....so am I ready....yeah RIGHT! :rolleyes:
DS

Yep....got new tires and a tune up on the Ford family wagon...new boots for my tootsies and new bear & elk calls...

*You should've seen the looks I got last year with my game cart on the roof and two black bears in the hatchback area....*

hehe well i have got the tires and most of everything else. I have to put new solinoides int eh front endso the 4 wheel drive will work.... but thats going to take awhile and beuing busy here at work I guessi will wait to befor i leave....where i am going I wont need a 4x4 but it would be nice if the rains and snow came....

Delw

Sounds like you've convinced yourself it might not get done, Delw! ;)

Riverswild,.....you gotta love it man! No one said you had to look pretty doing it, and besides, it won't take too many trips of coming out loaded with game that you won't be getting the funny looks anymore....it will turn to drool! :eek:
DS

riverswild, I bet you are a site driving down the road.
OK, truck is good, horse trailer is good but needs to be washed out real nice for me to sleep in. Horse in shape, me in ok shape. Do not need no maps, been hunting same area for 10 years. Like DS I should get more familiar with my GPS. Need to explore new areas I have found for deer.

im so close i can taste it, elk that is!!!:D:D: ya ever get to the point with your bow or gun ,where it just feels right all your shots are where ya want'em !! where it feels like an extension of your arm. arrows wind-up right where you were lookin without thinking about the distance are angles!!!! its only my backyard but i got there this weekend and the confidence it gave me is very setteling!!!

we all talk about preparations for a hunt being mostly our equipment bows,guns,quads,ammo,compass,gps,packs,boots,clothes, etc............... the list goes on but, how many are really preparing the most important tool YOU!!!!!

im not just talking about a little prehunt exercise, im talking being physically and mentally prepared for everything mother nature and her rugged wilderness can deliver! being physically confident to make that next ridge and navagate back in total darkness in unfamiliar terrain is not only physical but mental as well, are you ready ???? its amazing how quick you can talk your self into or out of doing something without the confidence of knowing your prepared! how about the ultimate hunting tool your body ,can you handle packing 75lbs of meat on your back out of a canyon 2000 feet deep, are getting you heart rate up on a daily basis to simulate this task ?????? are preparing your body for the dehydration of elevation ( flatlanders, like me
) by increasing your water intake now ?????? how about your caloric intake, ever thought about how many calories your body will burn on an average day elk hunting ??????? just a few things to think about during your preparations!!!! because lemme tell ya you can have the very best equipment but it aint worth a crap in camp lying next your illprepared ,worn-out ,achin body!

Having Fun and enjoying yourself is First and foremost on any of my hunting trips and beign prepared helps that happen, GOOD LUCK!!

DKO

you make a good point, I will admit that I have gotten lazy here in AZ not to mention older.... Its easier here to hunt than in the mts of washington.. I hardely even notice it with the exception that I sleep a heck of alot better and i am harder to wake up in the am.....the first day or so I just do what I can .. I do hunt all day and alot of walking.. however I dont do any befor hunting...Unless its scouting..
I will find out what kinda shape I am in , in the next couple of weeks.. daughter and I are goingto look for sheds and pop some yotes.

Delw

I'll put gas in the truck and my glasses in my pocket. Everything else is up to Oscar. He's the outfitter on this hunt. That's why he's making the big bucks. Speaking of which, for this kind of money, it better be a monster.

I just hope I can see the orange leash against the green background.

:cool:

DANR.. I know your Jokeing, most people do... But.... Don't ever Say I'm an OUTFITTER....Don't ever Joke about me getting paid...... I'll have the Fuggin Licencing board Kicking my balls the rest of the year.... Even if it is a JOKE !!!! I sound PAranoid, But they take those words and Take them to heart.... You know that I don't get one DIME from ya .. NOT ONE YA hear !!!!! They get pissed when Someone that doesn't hire a Guide gets a bigger deer/elk then the guy with the guide. (Not saying you will, but it does happen
)Not yelling at ya bud, Just stating the facts
You trying to make my life hard or what :D :D

OK... Now that I got that out of the way..... HEhehe.... I'm ready.. I figure that I'm 1/2 way in shape, 1/2 way soot straight, 1/2 way have the dates set, but 100% have the drive...... (Geting new tires on the Ride just for DKO too :D :D AHHH BIG "O" XLT bigfoots..... Nothing BETTER !!!!!)

DKO is right... There has been hunts that I mentally break down... I don't see nothing so I let my defences down and Just hike making more noise then I should... Then spook up a Awsome Buck or Bull that was bedded down that I could have gotten Easiley..... MENTAL is the BIG thing !!!!!!

Danr.. I don't get the Orange leash thing ?!?

:confused:

Am I ready? I leave tuesday AM for my sheep hunt. My gear has been in Fairbanks for the last week waiting for ME. Yup, I'm ready and hopefully I get that 40" wideflare dall.

Del,

Come on back to your homeland in Washington.
I'll send up the Westfork of the white River
to get you back in iron man shape!:D:D I'm
ready as far as equipment. I just put a new
exhaust system on my 87 F250 4x4. I'm getting
up at 5am 5 days a week to climb a 1100 hill
to get in shape and drop some pounds. I don't
want to be huffing and puffing on my muley
hunt this fall, plus my wife is saying she'd
like me alittle leaner.:D:D

Spotted owl
the women are always wanting a leaner man... but dont you ever say want a leaner women.. LOL

Delw

All I need to do now is find the time to load bins with camo. Bows and tuned and ready and the rifle is cased and ready. Tuesday morning meet BigTusker for boars and Friday up to Northern Ca for Blacktail. Then it's back to AZ for deer, then ID for elk. Hopefully a week of work then to the woods to help some freinds and then to MO for whitetail and Mexico for most of Dec and Jan for Coues deer and lions. Usually if I'm not in shape at the beginning I will be in great shape about 1/2 the way thru.
Man I'm tired already.
Steve

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back