How many guns is too many? What is considered an "armory"?

As long as you're not going into debt or neglecting family needs to get more guns - keep acquiring, as long as the number stays below four digits. Even then it's more of a guideline than an actual rule.
View attachment 286127
Now, ammo numbers, if you're not breaking into five digits you need to step up your game.
Do you get to count or not count .22 ammo?

To me guns are tools. Since they tend to hold their value I usually sell one to buy one. I’ve probably sold 15 guns in my life, and I currently own 5. There is one gun I regret selling, but it’s not rare and I can buy it again if I want, albeit at a higher price now. If I had unlimited $ I’d still probably own fewer than 20 guns - I’d just add a few more for niche applications.

About the only thing I collect anymore is antlers/horns and even there I don’t keep a lot on hand. Once I get over 12 or so sets, some get converted to dog chews.

If you like collecting guns, knock yourself out. Maybe ditch the “never sell” rule though. If you have 100 and you’re content, but you inherent 50 more, pick 50 to give away to family, or sell…I promise that the world will keep turning.

There comes a time when you realize that quality rules over quantity and you can start selling some to acquire a few better ones. There really is no limit to how much more you can spend per gun, so don't worry about running out upgrades to spend trade money on.

It's a little sad to go into the local gun shop and see a guy's collection that was brought in from an estate. You can usually tell because the stuff will be three or four of the same brand of firearms all grouped together (Ruger M77s, Winchester 70s, S&W revolvers, Colt 1911s etc).
Out this way we do a lot of estate firearm auctions when people pass. The auctioneers rent out the church on a Saturday morning, staple flyers with your name and a list of your guns all over town, and everyone comes to buy your crap.

The only real winners are the auctioneers but it's neat to see the crowd it draws when people with huge collections like @seeth07 kick the bucket.

Out this way we do a lot of estate firearm auctions when people pass. The auctioneers rent out the church on a Saturday morning, staple flyers with your name and a list of your guns all over town, and everyone comes to buy your crap.

The only real winners are the auctioneers but it's neat to see the crowd it draws when people with huge collections like @seeth07 kick the bucket.
I don't really know if I'll have many heirs for my collection so its likely going to be donated to something like DU or RMEF to auction off with sales used to hopefully something good for wildlife

Mellencamp song "small town" came to my mind reading that

Too many is when you need money and have nothing else to sell
Schmalts you need to work on your marketing skills. Should have responded with "well depends, do they all have optics on em? If not, then maybe you should be focusing on getting them properly setup before adding to the collection as it's a shame to leave a nice firearm sitting there naked"

@seeth07

Same boat here. I am turning a spare bedroom into a "gun and hunting" room during the remodel. I have every gun I have ever owned.

I look at it as an investment. I don't mind using the space. I mean how many backpacks, sleeping. bags, sleeping pads, etc. does I guy need. We won't talk about hunting clothes...

Too many, to me, is when you stop making impulse buys. I've stopped buying yet am currently dabbling into refinement of existing pieces....so no net savings, believe me. My boys (son and SIL) have enough with what they've accumulated plus what I've gifted. I have traded two nice pieces (long guns) for two nice pieces with solid HT members. My weakness is S&W revolvers...the Kimber .45 and Sig P229 .40 are rarely de-safed or handled.

Each to their own.
This is where I am at now. I’ve owned as few as 5 and as many as 70. I sold off a bunch when I was younger to get out of debt and pay for a funeral. I missed some but have got by without all of them.

I got sick of having 8 ok shotguns and have been really happy having 2 very nice shotguns. Same thing with rifles. When I quit playing around with a dozen and started investing in 2 with my time and money I was much happier.

I also got sick of maintaining them. Old guns love to surface rust in humid climates.

To the OP’s question - there not a limit or a threshold for a civilian unless you live in a municipality with some weird rules. You will at some point reach a limit of what is insurable.

Lastly it is a preference and value thing. If you and your wife “value” having 500 guns due to various tangible and intangible reasons - then great. If it hadn’t been for the Gummer family in Tremors and their 500 guns, Kevin Bacon’s career might have been cut tragically short.

Personally, I realized that there are ssssoooo many things I value above guns I don’t use. 100 guns at an average of $500 each is $50,000. To me that’s a lot to tags, amazing family vacations, or perhaps a new truck paid for with cash.

Don’t get me wrong, the pistol my grandpa took off the dead German will never leave my safe. Same as the long barreled 22 that he used to pot hunt rabbits from the cab of his truck. But the Mossberg 88 that I bought in college because I was too poor to pronounce “Benelli” well that was sold to help fund my first elk hunt in 2017 and I don’t miss it a minute.

I’d also recommend now looking at options to build a vault room. You could lay the block yourself and get a vault door made. Add a floor drain and electrical and leaving a dehumidifier running in there will help a lot with the maintenance. You will be far happier with that than several safes that will store less and cost more.

Last edited:
Technically, an armory is a place to store weapons. Therefore we all have an armory. An ARSENAL is something different. When I hear news stories about some shooting that say they had an "arsenal" of 5 guns plus 5-600 rounds of ammo I laugh and call them an amateur. Even though an arsenal is also considered a storage place it is also considered a collection.
I feel the same way and get awkward looks from the wife when we hear news stories about 20 - 25 guns and 50k rounds of ammo.
Amateur hour.

Reading through this is giving me inspiration for a possible solution to my conundrums after reading the retirement thread.

If some of you folks don’t know how many guns you have would you even miss a few if a brother helped himself out? 😄

I think I have my retirement plan.

Friendly reminder to everyone to double check their insurance coverage, whether it's under homeowners or additional policy, to make sure total value of firearms are covered.
Mine covers firearms, accessories, reloading equipment and loaded ammunition. No appraisal required on any single item under 10k.. It's a completely seperate policy from our homeowners insurance and VERY affordable

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheWolf
Back