Caribou Gear

How many deer on average do you see per hunting day?

2006: 1.80
2007: 1.50
2008: 1.24
2009: 1.88
2010: 2.29
2011: 1.78
2012: 2.90
2013: 2.30
2014: 2.30
2015: 2.70
2016: 3.93
2017: 4.03
2018: 3.90
2019: 4.83 and counting
Did you gain access to a new property in 2016? Do you mind explaining the jump? Also great numbers, I wish I was organized enough to keep records like that.
I probably see between 2-3 a day on average hunting Pa public archery. Probably see a 6 point or better buck every 2-3 hunts or so (about a .33 to .5 average). I can do much better on private land but enjoy mountain hunting more. I normally do 5-7 all day hunts a year and 15-20 times that I jump out for a few hours. And yes I do have sits where I see nothing.

Last edited:
One day this year we saw 28 deer and I thought someone must have hunted the spot the day before. I would say typically its close to 70 ish. This is open country where you can see deer thousand of yards away..and not all on land I have access too.

This has a lot of variables, such as hunting pressure, time of year etc. That being said, I can go from 0-6 on public land here by my house, to literally hundreds during the January antlerless season on my private land access.

We have land in 2 places here in mn. One place (200 acres) I see an average of probably 15 per sit, the other land is an hour away (900 acres private next to 900 acres of landlocked state land) and I see an average of 2 to 3 per sit. The part of my family that's awful hunters hunts our northern land the most out of anyone. They've managed to kill most of the young bucks before they have potential to be anything. Herd is suffering up there! Had a serious wolf problem a few years ago too that didn't help anything.

Here in southwest Pennsylvania, on public land during rifle season, I might see a couple. On the farm I hunt, I was filling doe tags this past Saturday and saw around 20 by 7:30am. Mostly does with at least one small buck. I would guestimate the average I've seen on this farm would be 30 in an all day sit, with maybe 1 or 2 decent bucks.

The area I hunted the last two weeks of the season we saw on public land over 100 mule deer per day, 10-20 bucks per day mostly 4x4’s in the 120-140” range. Closer to home 10-20 whitetail/mule deer would be pretty common. Can’t imagine what it was like in the good old days though when cwd and Fwp hadn’t killed em all...
What region ? I have a hard time believing you see 10 120”-140” deer on public per day

I have seen over 50 deer, mostly does, a mix of mule deer and whitetail on private cropland northeast of Cody, WY, near the rut. I have seen over 30 mule deer, about 50/50 does and bucks, in the Jarbidge of NV and north of Cody in the Shoshone NF northwest of Cody. I have seen over 30 whitetail, mostly does, on private cropland in Northern MO near the rut. I have seen over 20 Coues, about 50/50, just above Mexico in AZ near the rut.

As for when is a month or so before or after the rut, sometimes no deer or only the first few minutes and last few minutes of the day. The rut and cropland and private land can turn out crazy numbers of deer where a month before or after you would swear there are only a handful of deer within a few miles.

What region ? I have a hard time believing you see 10 120”-140” deer on public per day

Well I mean we shot 4 in one day by 1 pm at 3 separate spots within 20 miles. 1/2 day of scouting the day before, had never hunted the area. That was with two guys 50 lbs overweight and my 65 y/o uncle who just had lasik surgery and had a hard time discerning color differences in his scope. Farthest we went from the road was 1 mile and they all blew at least 1 opportunity.

I went back with my daughters and we hiked 2 miles in and found like 6 herds in one basin all with bucks from 120-160” followed the 160” for another 2 miles before they slipped in to some pines and we lost em. Younger Daughter shot a 3x3 her first deer on the walk back.

Hell I saw 10 bucks a day on a zone Fwp has run a full fledged cwd extermination...

Funny thing, in 5 days of hunting those areas we never saw another hunter afield, only driving in trucks on roads...

All Private:
Appalachians 0-2
Arkansas 3-7
S. Georgia 0-5
Central Fl 0-4
S. Atlanta 2-15
N. Atlanta 1-10
Evergreen Co, 5-15. I regularly see Booners, though I'm not actually hunting

Public Colorado:
I get really excited when I see one of those black squirrels

1-2 average. Some days none, and some up to 6-8 ish

Unless its late season and you see a big group of 2 dozen or so...

Wisconsin Central Farmland - 5/day
Wisconsin Northern Forest - 1.5/day
NW Colorado Mule Deer - 15/day
Central Wyoming Mule Deer - 3/day
SE Montana Mule Deer - 4/day
SE Montana Whitetail - 20/day

Well I mean we shot 4 in one day by 1 pm at 3 separate spots within 20 miles. 1/2 day of scouting the day before, had never hunted the area. That was with two guys 50 lbs overweight and my 65 y/o uncle who just had lasik surgery and had a hard time discerning color differences in his scope. Farthest we went from the road was 1 mile and they all blew at least 1 opportunity.

I went back with my daughters and we hiked 2 miles in and found like 6 herds in one basin all with bucks from 120-160” followed the 160” for another 2 miles before they slipped in to some pines and we lost em. Younger Daughter shot a 3x3 her first deer on the walk back.

Hell I saw 10 bucks a day on a zone Fwp has run a full fledged cwd extermination...

Funny thing, in 5 days of hunting those areas we never saw another hunter afield, only driving in trucks on roads...
Ok well good job ! Maybe things are looking up

Upper peninsula of Michigan I have seen definitely less than one on average per day. Tons of snow and a large/small amount of wolves (depends who you ask) have made the deer hunting tough up here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JMD
Back