MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

How many before a shot

zimmy

Went on a 2 week archery elk hunt in September. We had a great hunt. Called in 7 elk. Took 10 days and elk #7 until we got a shot off for various reasons. Is this the norm or are we doing something wrong. One guy did tell me later that we should draw as soon as we hear them coming. I don't know. Thanks

If drawing is going to be seen by the elk. It's better to draw before he spots you. That why some bow hunters think crossbows are easier.

It's why archery gets a whole month to hunt. It's harder than a gun. I used to hunt with a longbow and it's even harder because it can't be held at full draw for long if at all.

I called in several bulls this archery season only to not get a shot. Sometimes it's the norm. Then in ID, I connected on my third one. So that's the norm. Really, it's just elk hunting.

How tight are your setups? We generally setup so that the elk has to come within 40 yds. Sounds like you’re doing something right if you had 7 call ins on public land!

Based on my public land experience in CO it takes me on average 9 or 10 "close encounters" before everything comes together and I get to let an arrow fly. I define close encounters as any elk I would shoot that gets within bow range.

I'm hardly a great bow hunter, but I bow hunted elk for about 10 years and killed a few bulls, and helped a few guys kill few bulls as well. I've seen a lot of elk hit the ground with all sorts of weapons. As far as bow hunting, I would hunt maybe 10 days a season between school and work. Starting out, it seemed like I'd get one shot opportunity a year, with maybe 3-4 close encounters. After a few years of figuring it out, the numbers went up quite a bit to the point of passing small bulls. I killed my first elk with my bow on a solo hunt when I was 16, my 2nd year of bowhunting elk. The following year, I missed a giant bull, in almost the exact same spot as the year before. Still haunts my dreams.... I will never forget watching him rake a big tree, then turn and walk broadside toward me, stop and bugle at about 27 yards. I will also never forget seeing that yellow and green fletching on an easton GameGetter II deflect off an unforeseen branch about 5 yards in front of the massive 6x7 bull, just grazing his back. I still have the broadhead with elk hair on it.

Personally, I think solo hunting elk (or really any animal), is way more productive. Less noise, less movement and less scent. Its much easier to get close to animals. I've killed a lot of big animals and dozens of elk while hunting solo. Many at 50-75 yards.

IMO, to be successful at bowhunting you have to just keep after it. I think I've killed maybe a 12-15 animals with my bow. The shots will eventually present themselves, be aggressive, but don't be stupid. I just don't have the patience or time to dedicate to it at the moment. I like eating wild meat, and my success rate vs. time and money spent, isn't good enough to put meat in my freezer every year with a bow. :D

Depends on many factors, terrain, wind , phycological response elk are coming to (bugle/estrus cow), pre/peak/post rut, hunting pressure, etc. In every situation there are things you can do to increase your odds of having a shot, only way to learn is to analyze what happened when you didn’t get a shot and try to determine what you could have done differently. 5 years ago when I started calling elk more often than not they would hang up outside of range. Maybe 2 out of 10 encounters would result in shot opportunities. I think the biggest mistakes we made were not being aggressive enough and knowing when to stop calling and let the bulls curiosity kill him. Fast forward to this year and over half the bulls we called in presented shot opportunities, maybe 80% in peak rut. But we’re changing tactics to fit each situation.

I'm probably upwards of 80% on getting a shot in a true "call in" scenario, what is a "close encounter" is pretty open to interpretation but if it really is what I consider a close encounter probably 50% on getting a shot? if you're really going 1 for 7 on called in bulls I would probably be looking at my setups, if you can don't let them have much of a chance to see you before they are shootable, ideally you don't want to deal with being in sight for any longer than it takes to pick a spot and touch the trigger...and knowing when to draw is the crux of the whole thing, ideally you can see antlers, legs, or something to give you a cue but sound works too, use the bulls attitude to gauge how fast its happening and react accordingly, if he is really pissed you can probably draw a little farther out, he is likely coming fast!

Thanks for the replys. Most set ups where thicker cover where they where in range when we could see them. Just seemed like they came in looking and they would pick us out no matter how hidden we where. Guess we will just have to keep practicing 😉

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back